Sanyo 4912 for glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a compact fridge for fermenting lagers in my 6.5 gal glass carboy. I am going to purchase a temperature regulator as well. I have read alot about this model for kegerators, and was wondering if it is good for what I need?

I don't recall measurements offhand, but I don't think a carboy would fit in a 4912... corny kegs are only about 9" in diameter and even those are a tight fit when the door panel is in, and removing that panel would only gain you a few more inches.

I just completed my kegerator conversion last night, so my fridge was still empty and I was able to check. My 6.5 gallon carboy just fits in there with the door panel removed.

Thanks guys. I landed one today with my christmas money. Now I am not sure if I need an external thermostat override to lager correctly, or can it be done with just the fridge thermostat?

I second that question. I recently purchased the Sanyo 4912, but I will be currently be using it to keep my bottled beer cool until I am ready to upgrade later on to a kegerator. I was also thinking about fitting a carboy in there for laggering, and I am curious about needing an external thermostat or not.

I second that question. I recently purchased the Sanyo 4912, but I will be currently be using it to keep my bottled beer cool until I am ready to upgrade later on to a kegerator. I was also thinking about fitting a carboy in there for laggering, and I am curious about needing an external thermostat or not.

have carboy in my 4912 right now fits just fine

If you remove the door panel, it will fit with no problem. In fact, even with the panel there, a 5 gal fits. I have 2 and used to use one for fermetation before I got my chest freezer and still use one for crash cooling.

I have a six gallon Better Bottle cold crashing in mine now. I took some of the removable shelves out, but I haven't gotten around to taking out the door panel.

As for the temp controller, I just ordered one for mine. I can't get it to run any higher than about 43 -- 45 even at the min setting. Yours could be different, though, so you might want to check it out first.

For lagering your fridge shouldn't have problems for temps, but would be a pain to finely adjust temps with stock thermostat. A Temp controller gives you more accurate control.

Latest posts

Back