Sanke Keg Washer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Marcb, I work at a 1.5bbbl brewery in Pinellas and absolutely love your keg washer design! Would you consider sharing your design plans/blueprints for this system? As one of the guys who has to clean the kegs, this would make life so much better as we're still pulling rings and spears. Cheers!

Hi! Sorry - I don't have a lot of details regarding the first build. I built a second version that washes 3 kegs concurrently out of old 15g cornies I found. Message me with your email addr and I will gladly share what I've got! Going to be selling my whole pilot rig with keg washer soon as I have the new Brewhouse online

Yes, I'll cycle the output valve on the pump for the cleaning and rinse cycle. Originally the plan was to automate this function but I wasn't able to find reasonably priced tri clover multi position valves for this purpose so I do it manually. Every few cleaning batches I will pull a spear to inspect the keg and they are clean. There are now several small breweries using this design and I've gotten lots of positive feedback. If you don't like it you can always drop 13k on a two station semi auto rig ; )
Marc - Since you clearly enjoy building these very cool setups, I have an idea for you that might work for varying the output flow from your pump that could be "automated". If you took the output hose and passed it through a channel of some sort, with one side of the channel being a hinged piece of metal, and then had an eccentric cam running on the outside of that hinged piece driven by a gear motor... The cam would constrict and release the hose varying the flow.

Seems like that might work with a piece of braided silicone tubing...

Marc - Since you clearly enjoy building these very cool setups, I have an idea for you that might work for varying the output flow from your pump that could be "automated". If you took the output hose and passed it through a channel of some sort, with one side of the channel being a hinged piece of metal, and then had an eccentric cam running on the outside of that hinged piece driven by a gear motor... The cam would constrict and release the hose varying the flow.

Seems like that might work with a piece of braided silicone tubing...

Thanks for the note, I actually ended up building another version of this that leverages a variable frequency drive on a larger pump. This allows me to set high low thresholds and vary them on a timer. Expensive but worth it. In the end we ended up buying a commercial keg washer for the simplicity as it would take way too much concentration and time with the manual washer to do on a commercial scale for our brewery.

Thanks for the note, I actually ended up building another version of this that leverages a variable frequency drive on a larger pump. This allows me to set high low thresholds and vary them on a timer. Expensive but worth it. In the end we ended up buying a commercial keg washer for the simplicity as it would take way too much concentration and time with the manual washer to do on a commercial scale for our brewery.

I saw the new washer on instagram, bad ass

If you don't mind me asking, whose system did you end up going with? IDD, Premier, Specific?

If you don't mind me asking, whose system did you end up going with? IDD, Premier, Specific?

Premier, should get it fired up this week. Talked to several local Brewers and ended up on the two station semi auto version. Scales well for our operation and means we don't have to dedicate peeps to keg washing on brewdays. Walk by, swap out the kegs, push the go button and rock and roll. For kegging days we'll need 40 clean per batch.

Hi! Sorry - I don't have a lot of details regarding the first build. I built a second version that washes 3 kegs concurrently out of old 15g cornies I found. Message me with your email addr and I will gladly share what I've got! Going to be selling my whole pilot rig with keg washer soon as I have the new Brewhouse online

I have a quick question kind of in regards to this as i begin my own keg washer build:

Do you think a Thompsen#4 1hp pump would be able to handle four keg washing heads?

Thanks in advance if you have any insight. :mug:

I'm opening a small nano in Fort Wayne, IN and need to build a keg washer. I'm starting with a 3 BBL with 3 ferms and a bright from Stout Tanks. I was wondering if you have a complete set of plans for this keg washer build. I haven't been through all the threads as there's a bunch so possible you released them already. I'm asking because I'm short of time and plans would really help to expedite this. I just got state approval and I'm doing all the renovation to the building. We plan on opening in August once we are approved on the Brewer's Notice Fed application. Thanks in advance.

I have a quick question kind of in regards to this as i begin my own keg washer build:

Do you think a Thompsen#4 1hp pump would be able to handle four keg washing heads?

Thanks in advance if you have any insight. :mug:

Probably 3 max. Just because the I/O for that pump is 1.5" and that will push viable pressure for 3 @ .5" not sure about 4.

I'm opening a small nano in Fort Wayne, IN and need to build a keg washer. I'm starting with a 3 BBL with 3 ferms and a bright from Stout Tanks. I was wondering if you have a complete set of plans for this keg washer build. I haven't been through all the threads as there's a bunch so possible you released them already. I'm asking because I'm short of time and plans would really help to expedite this. I just got state approval and I'm doing all the renovation to the building. We plan on opening in August once we are approved on the Brewer's Notice Fed application. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I don't have a full set of plans. I have shared measurements and components in this thread. Anyone that is local and cad savvy is more than welcome to build plans for the rest of the world but I simply don't have the time to do so.

This is just simply ridiculous and awesome. i'm making the jump to pro soon and will definitely be needing a starting point for building a keg washer for the brewhouse. Way to go marcb. Great overkill build.

That looks solid!

I typically get my sankes cleaned in 30 min. Pop the retainer off, rinse the sludge out from the bottom, fill with hot PBW, sit for 30min, rinse, and 1/4 fill with star san solution. Roll the keg a min or two and store.

How do you fill (beer) into your sankes?

Nice build too!

Swifty

Kegs.com has a filler/cleaner head for $100. I used two of them on the washer and then when you are filling just pull them off, attach them to a tri clover manifold and you can fill from one to four legs at a time.

I don't hate cleaning but I'm not a great fan either.

This looks like a great tool that would make your brewday much more productive. I guess I'll have to get it on the list.

Thank you for the post Marcb...

Swifty

Manual single station keg washers are about 5k and automated are over 12k easy.... So I still think this has legs but probably a little intense for the typical homebrewer budget.

A little intense for the home brewer - under statement of the year. A little intense for most nano breweries as well. The stainless is pretty but, I have yet to see anything that involved where making money from brewing is the goal. One thing I would add tho, is our keg washer uses 3 cornies - Caustic, Acid and Sanitizer. We also use a hot water rinse between the caustic and the acid. The acid is only used about 1 a month on regular kegs but we do use it on all "used" sixtels we purchase. Better safe than sorry.

Manual single station keg washers are about 5k and automated are over 12k easy.... So I still think this has legs but probably a little intense for the typical homebrewer budget.

A little intense for the home brewer - under statement of the year. A little intense for most nano breweries as well. The stainless is pretty but, I have yet to see anything that involved where making money from brewing is the goal. One thing I would add tho, is our keg washer uses 3 cornies - Caustic, Acid and Sanitizer. We also use a hot water rinse between the caustic and the acid. The acid is only used about 1 a month on regular kegs but we do use it on all "used" sixtels we purchase. Better safe than sorry.

I have yet to see anything that involved where making money from brewing is the goal.

What's that have to do with anything??? Nobody on here is going to be the next Budweiser

Budweiser is simply an American example where "making money from brewing is the goal."

If you have followed Marcb's posts you may have noticed that he and a friend have opened a commercial brewery. Anyone who sells beer is doing it to make money. It is simply a business; in an industry which has seen a remarkable number of new openings over the past decades by the way.

Back