Sanke Coupler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
I purchased 2 used sanke couplers that I plan on using for my wedding. They are both the same brand and model but one of them has a plastic ball inside the coupler and the other does not. I am assuming this ball is to prevent back flow into the keg but I'm not sure.

Is this needed? and should I find a replacement one before the wedding?

Please Help

Yes the ball is to prevent backflow. It is not really needed. If you have never used either tap I would test them out before something as critical as a wedding. There are o rings inside that seal and if broken you will leak gas and or beer. You might want to at least test them out on a empty keg and pressurize it to see if it leaks. It would also not hurt to take them apart and use keg lube on the o rings

Thanks for the info. I tried the couplers on an empty keg today and they seem to work great!

No, the ball is not needed. It makes things a bit tidier when you switch kegs so you don't get beer flowing back through the coupling head and dripping on the floor but I've used mine without the ball check valve for over a year now with no issues.

So in addition to the plastic ball there is a plastic flange like part that goes in. I think its supposed to prevent the ball from falling out if tipped over. Does it really matter where this part is in the coupler? Mine fell out and I just put back in but wasn't sure if it should be toward top, bottom, middle...

Depending on what you are going to do with these couplers you may want to take the 'pea' and the gas check valve out and replace them with manual valves (Micromatic). If you do this you can fill kegs, wash them, clean them through the spear etc. But, of course, you have to keep in mind that the check valve function is now your responsibility.

The ball is to prevent beer from flowing back into the keg. This is 1) So when you disconnect, it doesn't make a mess and 2) If for some reason you have a tiny leak of pressure, the beer doesn't go back into the keg. It's not really needed but ideal. The ball stopper thing inside the coupler IS needed if the ball is there, but is not needed if the ball is missing. If the ball is there, it prevents the ball from flowing upward, blocking the flow of beer.

All of these parts can be purchased at micromatic and other places. Here's the ball:
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/keg-taps-couplers-pid-102-527.html

Back