sanke cleaning...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPLEMSU

Reaction score
i have 2 batches ready...and my sanke kegs still need to be cleaned and sterlized...

i plan on siphoning to keg on friday night...so i have a few days to do everything.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

if you are boiling in your keggles you don't need to sanitize let alone sterilize them.

sanke keg is what i am using to keg with...

so i was wondering if i need to use oxi-clean in each keg for 1 day and then rinse and then sanitize for a day as well then rinse...before i keg the beer.

that was my question...i am not using as keggle or fermentor...

using sanke as a homebrew keg!!!

You could;

Search for a DIY keg cleaner rig. This basically amounts to a length of copper pipe rigged to a submersible pump and set in a dish basin.

Buy a keg cleaner drill accessory.

Use caustic or acid based heavy cleaners.

I treat my sanke kegs just as most people treat corny kegs...clean w/ oxiclean, then sanitize w/ star san. Soak w/ oxi as long as needed, star san only takes like a minute or less to sanitize.

^^What he said^^ I soak in Oxyclean for as long as is needed, then drain, rinse & store upside down until I'm ready to keg. Before kegging I put around a gallon of StarSan in the keg and swirl it around for a minute, then drain & keg. I put the spear in a bucket full of StarSan and work the little ball back and forth to get sanitizer in it as well.

After the keg is filled and the spear is reinstalled, I purge with CO2 and either force carb or just put the keg on the gas and let it sit until it's ready to drink.

Sorry to open up an old thread but I'm having a hell of a time cleaning out this sanke. Not sure if I should give up on it or not.

The bottom of it is about 50% covered with dark grey (what appears to be) metal. As in it looks like it might be a part of the keg - maybe a part that got oxidized or something similar.

Anyone see something like this before and, if so, what did you do to remove it?

Thank you,
perogi.

Not really sure what you have going on w/ your keg, all my sanke kegs look like clean stainless inside, perhaps an acid soak IDK??? If it appears clean and just discolored, perhaps sanitize and try a batch...sorry so unhelpful.

Sorry to open up an old thread but I'm having a hell of a time cleaning out this sanke. Not sure if I should give up on it or not.

The bottom of it is about 50% covered with dark grey (what appears to be) metal. As in it looks like it might be a part of the keg - maybe a part that got oxidized or something similar.

Anyone see something like this before and, if so, what did you do to remove it?

Thank you,
perogi.

Try snapping a few pics and posting them, without being able to see what you've got I really don't have any recommendation for cleaning.

Thank you for the replies. Here are some pictures of it. Note that they were taken from outside of the keg - the light source is a small flashlight I stuck inside to illuminate. From this angle, the part that you can see is about 3 feet away (the bottom of the keg).

Keg_oxidation_2.jpg

Keg_oxidation_1.jpg

Thank you for any insight!.
perogi.

Please note that I soaked it a few times with PBW and once with Oxiclean for about 16 hours each time.

Looks like a little bit of beerstone, soak it in acid overnight and you should be good to go.

Thanks wyzazz - do you mean put a few gallons of water in there and then add a few milliliters of lactic acid to it or ?

Sorry a bit of a n00b when it comes to stainless fermentors!!

Back