Sanity Check: Before I start spending money and drilling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
Hello.

I am putting together a basic, gravity fed, AG setup. I have some old gorilla shelf units and turkey fryer bases that I'm going to use. Vessels will be 2 keggles and one cooler MLT. I already have the cooler converted using a bulkhead kit and stainless braid. I just recently bought these things from Bargain Fittings for my boil keggle:

New Weldless Keg / Cooler Bulkhead Kit
Copper Drain tube / pick up - Center Draw

Should I buy the same thing for my HLT? or can I just get by with just the bulkhead and not worry about getting every last drop of water out. I'm also planning on installing sight glasses in both keggles too.

I haven't installed the first two parts, and I haven't placed my second order yet. Just want to make sure I'm buying the right things.

for the HLT, you can use just a bulk head if you want. You will just need to compensate for the water that will be left in the dead space when you are measuring out water for the brew.

agreed. just compensate for residual water left behind.

you didn't mention your BK...what's the plan with that?

keeping it simple, you would still use just a bulk head and tilt it forward to get as much wort as possible off the bottom. you can also get a side pickup tube that collects from off the side of the bottom. this allows you to whirlpool the sediment/trub in the middle and not collect it in your finished wort. this can also be used as a whirlpool tube, but you would need to be pumping wort through it (pump required). another option is a hop filter, which will also vary depending upon what form of hops you are using.

agreed. just compensate for residual water left behind.

you didn't mention your BK...what's the plan with that?

keeping it simple, you would still use just a bulk head and tilt it forward to get as much wort as possible off the bottom. you can also get a side pickup tube that collects from off the side of the bottom. this allows you to whirlpool the sediment/trub in the middle and not collect it in your finished wort. this can also be used as a whirlpool tube, but you would need to be pumping wort through it (pump required). another option is a hop filter, which will also vary depending upon what form of hops you are using.

Good point and suggestion on the side pickup. I could use that center pickup I already have for the HLT and buy another bulkhead with a side pickup for the BK

tentatively thinking ordering something like this, combined with the parts i listed in the OP, to setup both keggles.

Screenshot.png

thoughts?

Think I'm just going to pick up the bulkhead and pickup from Bargain Fittings and the sight gauge/thermometer from Bobby

Back