Sanitizing spigot after boil and chilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have used an 10 Gallon Italian kettle with a spigot for years as a brew pot. I have never really used the spigot because I had in the past dumped my hop pellets directly into the boil and this would easily clog the spigot. (I don't have a false bottom)

I have recently started to put my hops in tied sections of a muslin bag and it has worked wonders in clearing up my wort, thus allowing me to use my spigot, with an attached hose, to transfer the cooled wort into my Carboy.

Would you guys recommend sanitizing the spigot spout somehow before attaching the hose? During my most recent brew, I took a cup with a bit of One Step and tried to tilt it so that the spout was covered for a few minutes. I'm wondering if this is necessary? Thank for the input.

Call me anal, but I always sanitize my spigot, inside and out before I attach the hose. But this is coming from the guy who sanitizes all the taps in my kegerator daily as well..

Hmmm...."You're anal". ;)

To sanitize the BK spigot, once the wort is at a full boil take a small pot from the kitchen and run hot wort into it, then gently return the wort to the kettle.

Repeat as many times as your degree of AC requires to get to the RDWHAHB state...

Cheers!

That works for the inside. If you are concerned about the outside, as your post suggested, a spray bottle full of StarSan works wonders.

That works for the inside. If you are concerned about the outside, as your post suggested, a spray bottle full of StarSan works wonders.

A little overkill like that certainly won't hurt, but I would expect the outside of the spigot barb (I'm presuming the OP uses a barb) would reach a sanitizing temperature when running boiling wort through it...

Cheers!

True, but I would spray it down after cooling so as to kill anything that got on there after it cooled.

Or I would if I was that anal anyway.

Back