Sanitizing Products Exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've made 4 batches now and I'm starting to feel the pinch when it comes to buying sanitizing powder from the beer supply store. I used Oxyclean on my equipment during the last batch, which seemed to work well based on sips I took while bottling (ie. nothing smelled/tasted foul). That product is cheap enough, but I've heard that it cleans without sanitizing. I'm not really sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good.

I'm also really sheepish about using bleach. I've got plastic buckets for fermenting and I just don't get a good feeling about using such a harsh, basic chemical on them.

Perhaps this should go in the Sanitizing Thread. However, I'm sure that this question has probably been diliberated over to death. So, I thought I'd keep the newbie stuff over on this side of the house.

Sanitizing powder? Oxyclean? Those sound like cleaners, not sanitizers.

The go-to sanitizer for home brewers is Star-San. One ounce makes 5 gallons of sanitizer, and you can save it in a 5-gallon bucket. The best way to buy Star-San is to close your eyes and buy the large 32-ounce size. http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/883157.htm

Oxiclean is a cleaner, not a sanitizer. It has the same (or similar) ingredients as one step (which is no longer allowed to be labeled as a sanitizer but was for years) and easy clean (another oxygen cleaner).

Theoretically, it could work. What concentration would be sufficient for sanitizing? And what contact time?

As mongoose said, get some star San. It'll last years.

Starsan is cheap the way I use it which is every batch I mix up 5 gallons both on brew day and on bottling day, but if you save the Starsan you can use it more than once as long as it is below a certain PH. It has to cost less per brew than paying a buck or two for a package of “sanitizing powder”. And even though I don’t like to have excess Statsan in my beer, I think I would like to have residues of powdered sanitizer in my beer less.

I make a new 5 gallon batch of StarSan (in a bucket) every couple of months. It keeps as long as the ph is good.

I pin an index card on the board with the date every time I do. I also refill my spray bottle from the new batch.

... but I've heard that it cleans without sanitizing. I'm not really sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good.

Cleaner/cleansers loosen and remove residues and gunk from surfaces. They are not labeled or proven to FDA to kill enough microorganisms. Most need to be rinsed thoroughly to remove residue, gunk, and leftover cleanser from the surface. Not rinsing it would be like just scrubbing your hands with soap and walking away with out rinsing and drying. Theoretically if cleaned the surface 100%, it would be sanitized, but nothing is perfect.

Sanitizers have submitted evidence and research to FDA to support their claim that their product kills the necessary population to fit FDA's definition (99.9% kill within 2 minutes, I think). Sanitizing will only be effective on clean surfaces. If their is still soils on the surface, the sanitizer can not get underneath/ inside to kill label microorganisms. Preparing brew equipment should be a two step event, clean then sanitize.

Star-san seems to be what many use, but it is only effective against bacteria and viruses. Acid sanitizers have little activity against yeast/fungi. Iodophor is the other common no-rinse sanitizer, and has activity to bacteria, viruses, and yeast/ fungi, although it has a short shelf life when diluted and can stain soft plastics. It isn't a bad idea to have both on hand and slip in the iodophor every few turns.

General sanitizers are regulated by EPA. Only those sanitizers, disinfectant, and sterilants that are intended for use in/on medical devices are regulated by FDA. When it comes to food-contact sanitizers, the FDA does require the use of one that complies with EPA regulations (see 21 CFR 178.1010). In order to legally market a product as a sanitizer there are certain criteria that need to be demonstrated, and you need to file a registration with the EPA under the federal insecticide, fungicide, rodenticide act (FIFRA). Here are the data requirements (generic list) that must be submitted.
It is a ton of work, and all of the lab work needs to be done under GLP conditions per 40 CFR 160. It requires literature research to support your results. The whole process can take two years to get through review, because the EPA will always take the longest time allowable by law to respond/review submissions. You generally need a consultant to help navigate the process. It will cost 100's of thousands of dollars. I have been through the process, and it honestly had me pulling for Rick Perry in the 2012 election because he swore he would banish the EPA. ;)

So, you can see why a company may not want to market their product as a sanitizer. But, that doesn't mean a product not labeled as a sanitizer won't sanitize. It just means it is not marketed as one.

I used one 8oz bottle for a year! Each gallon I made would last for about two brew sessions (~1 month). So I also recommend StarSan as a great and inexpensive sanitizer.

I payed $16.95 for the 16oz bottle earlier this year.

General sanitizers are regulated by EPA. Only those sanitizers, disinfectant, and sterilants that are intended for use in/on medical devices are regulated by FDA. When it comes to food-contact sanitizers, the FDA does require the use of one that complies with EPA regulations (see 21 CFR 178.1010). In order to legally market a product as a sanitizer there are certain criteria that need to be demonstrated, and you need to file a registration with the EPA under the federal insecticide, fungicide, rodenticide act (FIFRA).

My mistake, yes it's EPA that regulates them not FDA. I deal with pesticides and labels all the time, don't know why I mixed them up :confused:.

A little starsan goes a long way! Last purchase was the 32oz bottle 4 or maybe 5 years ago.....I brew 10-14 batches a year. I make it a gallon at a time. The gallon is used to sanitize a few kegs then put in a spray bottle or two to use on brew days.

Back