Sanitizing my Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
Once I sanatize everything when I ferment, I hold back a growler full of sanatizer. I then drop by hydrometer into the sanitizer to sit. When it's time to check FG, I unscrew the lid, the hydrometer floats up, and I can just grab it and drop it into the wort for a check. After that It's back to the sanitizer for the next check. Once I make up a new batch of sanitizer, I dump the old stuff, refill, and start over.

So far, this has appeared to be a pretty slick set-up. However, I've not tasted any bottles since I came up w/ this idea. First, I wanted to know your thoughts on this, and two, if it's a consensus that it is a good idea, I thought it may help others that check gravity directly in their fermenter.

I prefer to draw a sample when taking a gravity reading. If I'm using a fermenter with a spigot, there's nothing to sanitize. It gives me the added benefit of tasting the sample to see how the beer is progressing.

Personally I would worry about putting such a fragile instrument near my whole batch. Plus I like to see the whole hydrometer to make sure there are no bubbles adhering to it which might throw off the reading.

Back