Sanitizing help! Is this process ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ToddPacker69 said:
Thanks ZachAttack. I am going to rinse with hot water and use the bottle scrubber IF any of my bottles have residue or smell like beer/yeast.

After that, I will dunk in starsan, pour out, and then bottle right away. Any one have a problem with this just shout out.

And JonK, its ok. Relax.

My only issue with this is starsan takes about 30 seconds to work. I typically half fill about 24 bottles shake em and start pouring them out then stick them in the top rack of the dishwasher to drain. Then the other half.. Start bottling with the set that's been draining.

Don't fear the foam.

My only issue with this is starsan takes about 30 seconds to work. I typically half fill about 24 bottles shake em and start pouring them out then stick them in the top rack of the dishwasher to drain. Then the other half.. Start bottling with the set that's been draining.

Don't fear the foam.

Since the inside of the bottle stays wet with Starsan, the 30 second contact time shouldn't be a concern. It'll take me a good 30+ minutes before I start filling the bottles, and they're still wet inside. The draining is just to get any excess out.

And I don't drink any commercial beers bud. Only local, small breweries. Fresh, local ingredients, so you actually get something good out of your beer : )

We are all heading back to the primal days..

You should call them and ask if they use pbw to make sure. That might clear it up for you. Also, there are two kinds of beer in this world, homebrew and commercial. If it's not homebrew (i.e- someone is selling it), that means it's commercial. So you do, in fact, drink commercial beer.

I am going to use star san, and I am trying not to use anything with too many chemicals, like oxyclean or bleach. So staying on the more natural or organic side, with starsan being ok, and also iodine, what should be my sanitation process?

I was going to go dishwasher, then use starsan. But if the dishwasher wont reach the neck, should I rinse with soapy water? Then Starsan?

What about letting them dry?

(If your going to just suggest some toxic like bleach or something with a bunch of chemicals, just don't comment. I am trying to go for a more natural beer, I don't need to be preached on chemicals. I DO know that the sanitation process is HUGE in brewing, So I want to make the best decision, without using anything to toxic. Thats why I hear starsan is good. Just not sure if I should do something before starsan...)

What about my bucket?
Check the ingredients in your soap...Are you using 100% "natural" soap. See the thing is there are a lot of "chemicals" that are 100% natural. Cyanide is natural but will kill you. I dig the getting back to nature but if you want to kill bacteria/unwanted yeast then you are going to need something that will kill them. Unicorn pee is not going to do it...Although it is quite tasty.

Got bored found this:

But taking a quick look at the ingredients above can lead you to a safe alternative: hydrogen peroxide.

By adding a safe surfactant, such as the naturally occuring surfactant found in a few teaspoons of liquid soap nuts, a water softening ingredient, such as several teaspoons of baking soda, and a cup or more of hydrogen peroxide, you can create your own safer alternative of OxiClean for a fraction of the price.

reverse-1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

I also don't use the dishwasher as I understand if you have a "Jet Dry" or such it will kill the head on the bottled beer.

I soak in warm water and brewers wash overnight, brush with the bottle brush, jet wash with forced water. Then place them on a bottle tree till bottling.
The other thing I understand is the Star San is good for the yeast production in the aerobic first stage.
As other have said “Don’t fear the foam” there is a thread on here that shows neat foam snakes from star san as they fill carboys.

I don’t soak anything in the bottling buck so I don’t scratch it. I use a separate tray with star san made in the bottling bucket. Then fill a one gallon jug and a spray bottle from that.
Boil the primer suger for 10 mins and cover with foil I spray with Star San. Everything that touches the beer must be Clean and Sterile two different things.
I use a vinator to shoot the star san into the bottle and rinse with the forced water, place on tree and start bottling.
Never had a bad batch.

Why do you rinse after using Star San? What kind of water are you using?

I brew with my son.
He didn't like the foam so it was more for his head than for any good reason.
I don't rinse the Carboys or bottling bucket and he got over that.
Baby steps.
:ban:

Back