Sanitizing Fermonster after contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendenburg2

Reaction score
Just had to throw away a batch of cider that got contaminated. Aside from the the off-flavors, white flecks started showing up on the surface of the cider. Not sure what caused them, especially since I used potassium sorbate and and potassium metabisulfite, which should have killed any lurking bugs and prevented any new contamination from taking hold.

But that's cider into the drain now.

In any case, I'd like to be able to continue using the fermenter, a 6-gallon Fermonster (clear plastic carboy), but I'd like to know how to really ensure that any bugs have been killed. Right now it's full to the brim with Star San that's 50% more concentrated than what the instructions say. Boiling water won't work, since it'll melt the plastic. Normally, I'd also try unscented bleach, but due to the virus, I haven't found any in stores for weeks.

Any recommendations?

Not really helpful to you right now, but I gave mine a 2 day strong bleach soak after it spent about 18 months fermenting sours View media item 69970 and I've used them without issue in standard fermentation without issue since. That's after a multi-day PBW wash - get them squeaky clean, soak them fully and completely, then nuke it with bleach when you get some in stock.

Any recommendations?
Soak it in warm PBW or Oxiclean (125°F) for 24 hours.
Rinse thoroughly with water.

Soak the lid and disassembled spigot separately.

Soaking it in Star San is counterproductive. Bleach isn't needed.

Soak it in warm PBW or Oxiclean (125°F) for 24 hours.
Rinse thoroughly with water.

Soak the lid and disassembled spigot separately.

Soaking it in Star San is counterproductive. Bleach isn't needed.

I can see that Star San isn't necessary, but why is it 'counterproductive? I soak/wash with PBW or similar, but I always finish with a sanitizing rinse or spray-down with Star San or Sani-Clean. I'm I doing it wrong?

Brooo Brother

Back