Sanitizing Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a coffee stout and I want to add cold brewed coffee when I'm kegging. How do I sanitize the coffee?

Just sanitize the container its going into and you'll be fine. You don't want to heat it to the temps you would need to sanitize it, you'd mess up the flavors. I've never had an infection after a number of times using cold brew coffee in my beers, I wouldn't think coffee would be an ideal environment for bacteria due to its acidity.

If you want to be super careful, you could put it in a mason jar and then pasteurize it in the dishwasher. Should get hot enough to kill anything without boiling or frying the coffee. Just search the forums for dishwasher pasteurization. A lot of people use it to stop cider from overcarbing.

When I used to use cold brewed coffee, I would dunk my coffee press in sanitizer for a few minutes, drain off the excess and fill it with coffee and boiled (and cooled) water. Covered the top with sanitized foil and never had an issue after two attempts doing that.

Lately, I've taken to simply putting 3-5oz of whole light roasted coffee beans directly in secondary. I've done this three times now without issue even without sanitizing the coffee beans before hand. It gets me a really nice coffee flavor without all the fuss.

Back