Sanitizing bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok, so I just picked up 4 cases of bottles from someone. I'm cleaning now so I don't put it off. Question is can I sanitize, let dry then cover with plastic wrap until i'm ready to bottle or do I need to sanitize again?

WaltG said:
Ok, so I just picked up 4 cases of bottles from someone. I'm cleaning now so I don't put it off. Question is can I sanitize, let dry then cover with plastic wrap until i'm ready to bottle or do I need to sanitize again?

Sounds right to me. I clean them
Then put them in a plastic
Basket covered with a big garbage bag and twist tie. I have not had problems. I think your just supposed to keep them away from airborne bacteria. So plastic wrapping should do.

I've not done it but you should be ok as long as the plastic wrap stays on until you bottle. I've read that folks who use the oven method often cover with aluminum foil until ready to use. Unless I'm missing something, it should be analogous.

But star san and iodophor are wet contact sanitizers, once they dry your bottle can be contaminated with whatever can get inside it.

That's why most (I'm guessing) bottle while wet and cap on foam.

Ok, So that's out, I use iodophor. I was told you have to rinse when using it. Is that true?

WaltG said:
Ok, So that's out, I use iodophor. I was told you have to rinse when using it. Is that true?

Walt. I
Don't know what the best way is but this is what i do and i find it works for me.

1) soak in warm water and heavy bleach solution for 30 min.
2) rinse out bottles - i use a garden hose
3) put in dish washer on heat cycle. No water, no soap etc...
4)take out when dry and put in clean plastic container and cover with garbage bag and zip to end.

People make this way more complicated than need be. I clean my bottles after pouring from them (hot water + bottle brush and rinse a couple times), drain in my dish rack and store in cardboard boxes. Come bottling day I give them a short dip in Star San (letting an ounce or so into the bottle), swirl the sanitizer and dump. That's it.

Do people really store their bottles in a garbage bag with it zip-tied shut? As long as the bottles are clean and dry any competing bacteria would be killed off when you sanitize prior to bottling

People make this way more complicated than need be. I clean my bottles after pouring from them (hot water + bottle brush and rinse a couple times), drain in my dish rack and store in cardboard boxes. Come bottling day I give them a short dip in Star San (letting an ounce or so into the bottle), swirl the sanitizer and dump. That's it.

Do people really store their bottles in a garbage bag with it zip-tied shut? As long as the bottles are clean and dry any competing bacteria would be killed off when you sanitize prior to bottling

This is what I do too. I store the clean dry bottles upside down in their cases. Come bottling time, sanitize, fill and cap.

I dont get this, I sanitise as thats whats required, how can they be still sanitised after being left for hours or days specialy if wraped in stale unsanitised air in an unsanitised plastic bag ?

I rinse the bottle when I empty the beer from it,
On bottling day re wash the bottles,
Then douse with starsan and bottle while still wet.

NO rinsing and not worrying about the starsan bubbles

Yep!

I store my rinsed bottles upside down in the cases as above. When I need to bottle I submerge in a bucket of star san swirl an ounce or so as mentioned above and dump. I do a doz. or so then bottle and cap. Repeat. It's simple and I've never had a problem with my bottles or the beer in them. Don't over think it, just hit them with star san and bottle all will be fine.

It only took me dunking about a half case of bottles in a bucket of sanitizer solution before that process got old quick. A jet wash and a vininator are worth their weight in gold.

IMG_2066-L.jpg

Using a no-rinse contact sanitizer like StarSan or Iodophor, you apply it just before bottling so that the glass is still wet.

A vinator is an invaluable tool on bottling day.

One time, I sanitized bottles a few days before. That batch picked up a (mild) infection. I don't think the bottles were the problem, but I've never done it since. I always sanitize on bottling day and leave it at that.

Learning, then locking in your basic processes is one of the most important things you can do as a brewer.

I rinse the yeasty gunk outta the bottles & scrub with the bottle brush. rinse again & onto the bottle tree before storage. Sanitize with Starsan right before filling.

I give my bottles a good rinse after pouring and then when I have a bunch sitting around I'll soak them in the bath tub over night with some oxi clean (still building my bottle collection up so have guys at work bringing me their empties and soaking them in oxi-clean helps get those labels off), scrub them out with bottle brush, rinse them out, hang them on bottle tree, and once dry put them back in their carriers; if the carrier doesn't have a top to it then I'll put a piece of aluminum foil over the mouth the bottle.

On bottling day spritz down the bottle tree with some star san, then hit the bottles with about 3 pumps from the vinator, let them drain, hang on tree, once tree is full start filling the bottles working my way around and down the tree.

On bottling day, I put all my bottles in the dishwasher, without detergent, run the sanitize mode, and bottle.

Picked up like 4 cases of Sierra Nevada bottles from a guy on craigslist. What I did was put them in sink (1 case at a time) with oxyclean. Filled half full with hot water. Heated water on stove to about 170 and dumped than in so I got it super hot. Soaked for 30 min then scrubbed with bottle brush. Rinsed, air dried. Will sanitize when I bottle.

And the joy of working with the public besides those a customer of mine brought me a case of 24oz bottles.

So now I got 4 1/2 cases of 12oz and a case of 24 oz. Not bad for a noob brewer.

I dunk them in oxyclean let about half fill shake them then put them in the dish wash to drip once that's done i have a spray bottle filled with k meta/water that i use to sanitize. I don't see a vindicator being much an improvement over the spray bottle. But i am wishing i had a jet as i just got back bottles that didn't get rinsed. I always rinse right after pouring.

so much for copy past spelling. No i haven't but from the look of it its just a spring loaded sprayer so for 1 dollar vs 18 ill just use the spray bottle.

In my experiences with spray bottles,the vinator is the better choice to get the iside of the bottles well sanitized. Quick & easy with the bottle tree it mounts on top of. Takes up less space as well. The vinator shots a bigger stream of Starsan into the bottle compared with a spray bottle.

You'll not find a bigger penny pincher than me. I scrutinize everything I buy to get the most millage from my money and I can honestly say I was sold on it the first minute I used it. I was able to rinse and sanitize 55, 12oz bottles with 2-3 pumps on the vinator each in about the same time it took to siphon off 5 gallons of brew into the bottling bucket. By far, this was one of the best purchases following the advice of forums members to date. By the time the carboy was empty I was ready to start bottling with the bottles still dripping wet from the solution.

I have absolutely no idea how the beer will turn out, but at least the process of getting it bottled was quick and easy. Many thanks of course to all the forum mentors!

I do both so I know how awesome and easy it is to keg. Some batches I just like to have bottled. As long as my two taps are flowing oh plenty!

I'm just now trying my hand at the big beers and will probably bottle them so that they don't tie up my kegs. Plus if they are stashed back out of sight I my not be as tempted to throw 'em down. ;-)

pb

dx6x said:
so much for copy past spelling. No i haven't but from the look of it its just a spring loaded sprayer so for 1 dollar vs 18 ill just use the spray bottle.

Searching about this once I found a video where someone made one with a Rubbermaid container & a foamer soap pump...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYoOTxq-9dA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=MYoOTxq-9dA#

I ultimately bought one on eBay new in box but it shaves a lot if time off sanitizing time

Back