Sanitized distilled water got in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMXELITE

Reaction score
I had a blow off tube hooked up to my carboy during fermentation. Once I checked gravity I turned down my fridge to cold crash and forgot to take the blow off tube out. I now have about 2in of the sanitized liquid on top of my beer. Should I throw it out or try and filter it off some type of way?

I wouldn't toss. Id slowly dip the siphon through the layers and try to siphon off the brew below or siphon off the top, which ever way you want to go. This should work fine.

If it got sucked back in then it will be well mixed in with the beer, not just sitting on the top.

This is a pretty common screw up when cold crashing. Depending on what the blow off liquid was, and whether is was clean or not, it might be fine to package.

The water was sanitized distilled and no blow off stuff went in the juf during fermentation. The cold crash seemed to have separated the liquid. The yeast at the bottom, beer in the middle and the clear distilled water on top. I'll see how it taste in a few days. It smelled good while kegging.

Back