Sanitized Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther

Reaction score
Well I sanitized some bottles a week ago plus and they have been sitting in the cellar upside down in my home made tree rack. The question is how long is too long before sanitization should be done again.
Using EZ clean 2 minute contact if it matters.
Thanks.

You should sanitize on bottling day (or brew day if you are brewing.) It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to sanitize 2 cases of bottles.....Read this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ It takes me about 45 minutes to bottle 5 gallons of beer with the system I've outlined in the above thread. And that includes sanitizing my bottles.

I agree. I've been going through a GIANT stash of beer bottles I've collected up over the past 6-8 months or so. I used the outer shipping box from my cooper's micro brew kit to put some of them in,right-side up,upside down,around the middle & up the back. Just so long as I could get them in there! They spilled over into a pile in the dining room,then into the computer/brewery room. she started bitching that she's gunna throw them out if I don't do something with'em...;)..."yeah baby! Sure,I'll do somethin with'em!"...:D.
So,I dug out an old orange home cheapo bucket I had in the garage for fishin,& proceeded to soak in dish soap,rinse,repeat a few times with scrubbing in between. Then in went the PBW after the last hot rinse. I can get 12-15 bottles in there at a time to soak'em clean overnight. Labels,glue,moldy yeasty gunk & all. Slick as a hounds tooth,& clean smelling.
Here I am,some 5 weeks & 2nd batch of PBW later. I finally get to the bottom of the cooper's box & pitch it's worn out corporal remains into the garbage. Kitchen a bit more open now. Computer room got a spring cleaning,you wouldn't know it was the same room! Wife is proud of me again,anxiously awaiting $$ to buy the stuff we need to bottle her beer.
Now if I can just get the pile of bottles in the dining room done before this batch of PBW wears out...:drunk::ban:

Back