Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59f100292

Reaction score
My question is - how long is the sanitation good for? When I stir - I sanitize the stirrer. Do i need to re-sanitize every day while I'm stirring in the primary or does the sanitation last a bit? Ive been sanitizing, the crap out of everything (when my wine tastes like ass its going to be because I don't have a clue what i'm doing - not cause I'ts not clean) do you sanitize the bung's and air locks as well?

what are you sanitizing with?
bungs and airlocks should be sanitized..
what are you doing with your stirrer between uses - if you are keeping it inside the3 fermenter, re-sanitization is probably not necessary... if you are removing it each time, then i would sanitize each time as well.
what kind of wine? grape or other fruit?
sanitizing should be easy using a spray bottle of k-meta solution or even starsan as long as the equipment is also kept clean.

Using iodaphor - I never considered just leaving it in there........
Its all fruit wine - two gals strawberry - 4 gallons blueberry - 6 gallons peach - 2 gallons raspberry - and one gal black berry

didn't know there was a spray sanitizer - does it work ok for the inside of carboys?

Next question - the straining bags. Are they intended to be a one time use thing? If not how do you clean them between wines? I considered putting them in the clothes washer with out any soap for clear reasons... is there a good way?

Get a spray bottle at a dollar store and put some campden/water in it. As long as you can smell the sulfur oder, it is still good. Its all I use on everything.

I have used straining bags a few times and throw them out. It just gets too hard to clean them after a while.

Back