Sanitation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polom79

Reaction score
Just a few questions about the last few brews I have tasted, and the bottle process.

I clean my bottles with a clorox bath, and follow that up with the iodine solution. When the bottles are drying after the iodine solution, do the bottles have to be completely dry before bottling? Or is it ok to bottle say a few hours after the iodine solution?

I recently made a Snowcap clone, and when I pour one into a glass it seems to be over carbonated. The entire glass fills with foam, but the taste doesn't seem to be affected. What could it be?

My equipment gets a good cleaning after each use with iodine and bleach. Any way to tell if I have an infection?

Thanks for any help

Sounds like way too much effort.

When I empty a bottle, I rinse it well and drain.

When I bottle, I fill (actually dunk in a 5 gallon pail) with Idophor solution, empty, let stand a couple of minutes, then empty any residual liquid (it is still wet), and then it is ready to fill.

You can fill immediately after sanitizing, or you can leave it for a while (a day or more) if you ensure it is covered.

I usually rinsed, did a visual inspection, soaked in idophor for 15 minutes, take the bottle bush to them, sick them on the jet rinser/carboy cleaner, and placed them on the bottle tree to dry. I've heard clorox needs to be washef really well.

You might also take a look at your glasses. If there is detergent on them it could cause foaming.

Back