Sanding new (to me) corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cchristoph

Reaction score
Just one pass with 220G on the orbital and it’s already day and night.
A8FB6CAE-53AC-4BE4-8614-5D47C530478B.jpeg

Looks great. Have you had to remove stickers before like the warnings? If so, what have been your methods as those can be a pain sometimes

Looks great. Have you had to remove stickers before like the warnings? If so, what have been your methods as those can be a pain sometimes

I took a handful off with a razor blade the best I could first. I found that heating up the residual gunk made it easier to remove the rest with a second pass. Heated it by sanding over it will a used pad.

Planned on sanding down more and then buffing but I actually like the slightly “brushed” look the 220G gave it so stopped there. That and my feminine arms go tired.

Forgot I had an old account I was a lifetime member on so making that switch to @TxNative

Glad to be back and happy brewing out there y’all.

I ****ed up and bought two of these instead lol (second one is on the way). One for ferm and one for serving. They fit the kegs perfectly and plan on putting a 5lb tank on the compressor hump.

4EF3BFDE-455A-464F-AFA3-E8EC0B4F975D.jpeg

Acetone works well as an adhesive remover. Any hardware store should have it or just use that bottle of fingernail polish remover every house seems to have.

At my work, we use some orange oil to remove glue on the stainless sheet. That was sell for renew the wooden furniture. That work pretty well, juste to wash the oil with water after.

Thanks for the tip, I have 26 cornie kegs in my collection that I plan on sanding down like you did.

If you want to actually polish it I would recommend starting with 100G instead of 220G like I did. There were some spots I didn't get out that would definitely show up in a polish.

Generally to polish you start lower in sand paper grind and at each step you will increase, rough to start up to finish paper. Ex: 6o,80,120,220, etc.

I have access to a sand blast at my job, I am thinking if it is a suitable solution to do that 🤔

Back