San Fran Recomendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBill

Reaction score
Staying at Marriott @ 780 Mission St (near 4th and Market). No car and not a lot of time to travel (conference) what are the best bars / bottle shops in the area?

I'm not a local, but I end up there about once a year. City Beer is a cool little bottle shop and tap room that's not far from you. Toronado is a bar that usually has some good stuff on Tap. If you've got some time take the BART across into Berkeley and go to Jupiter or Falling Rock (both are within a couple of blocks of the Downtown Berkeley BART stop). Jupiter is one of my favorite places to just hang out on the patio and have some awesome beer. 21st Amendment isn't too far from you either.

+1 for City Beer and Toronado ... the T is a bit of a dive, but you'll save a buck or two per pint. City Beer gets a bit crowded with the after-work crowd, but starts mellowing out again around 7:00.

Mikkeller just opened a bar/taproom about half a block from 5th and Market St., it's about 1/3 their stuff, 2/3 guest taps, maybe three of the 20 or so taps will you have ever tried before, definitely worth a visit.

Another long-walk/short-bus-ride option is Zeitgeist... they're also a bit divey, but with 48 taps and a giant outdoor beirgarten area, you can't beat 'em on that rare fog-free afternoon or evening.

Jupiter and Triple Rock are also good, but you will spend about 30 minutes on the train each way... make an evening of it, Triple Rock has good pub grub, and Jupiter has good pizzas and an extensive set of "guest taps" in addition to their own brews.

21st Amendment is OK... but, ultimately, pretty meh. I'd go to pretty much anything else on this thread first.

If you're feeling adventurous, Speakeasy has an awesome taproom, but you'll have to take a cab; it's way out in a light industrial area with crappy public transit access.

feinbera said:
+1 for City Beer and Toronado ... the T is a bit of a dive, but you'll save a buck or two per pint. City Beer gets a bit crowded with the after-work crowd, but starts mellowing out again around 7:00.

Mikkeller just opened a bar/taproom about half a block from 5th and Market St., it's about 1/3 their stuff, 2/3 guest taps, maybe three of the 20 or so taps will you have ever tried before, definitely worth a visit.

Another long-walk/short-bus-ride option is Zeitgeist... they're also a bit divey, but with 48 taps and a giant outdoor beirgarten area, you can't beat 'em on that rare fog-free afternoon or evening.

Jupiter and Triple Rock are also good, but you will spend about 30 minutes on the train each way... make an evening of it, Triple Rock has good pub grub, and Jupiter has good pizzas and an extensive set of "guest taps" in addition to their own brews.

21st Amendment is OK... but, ultimately, pretty meh. I'd go to pretty much anything else on this thread first.

If you're feeling adventurous, Speakeasy has an awesome taproom, but you'll have to take a cab; it's way out in a light industrial area with crappy public transit access.

Magnolia brew pub in the Haight is awesome, particularly if you're into English styles. They always have four of their own beers on cask. Mikkeller is great, but expensive. Toronado is a must see, unless you don't like dive bars. But I live two blocks away, so I'm biased.

Also, for bottle shops, can't beat Healthy Spirits at 15th and castro.

Back