San Diego!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a rough winter at work, and the work isn't done yet. Me and the GF have been looking at a three day getaway in April to San Diego. We already have the reservations made and now we need to fill in the rest of the itinerary.

First on the list is Stone Brewing. But which is better? Escondido or Liberty Station? I'd prefer to go to Escondido, but Liberty Station will be MUCH closer. Staying pretty near SeaWorld, by the way. Beer is a big priority on the list, but not all inclusive. We want to see other stuff too, I read something about sunsets at La Jolla were pretty awesome. And the Gaslamp Quarter was supposed to be pretty spectacular. Also, worthwhile restaurants?

So ultimately, what would you recommend? Which breweries are worthwhile? Where else can we go without spending tons of cash (i.e. SeaWorld, etc.). Which highways should we avoid or when should we avoid them? Any other wisdom worth sharing is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I like Stone Liberty Station a lot, it's just as nice as Escondido but no brewery tours.

All these places are right within 5 minutes of Sea World and I suggest checking them out, no particular order

Ballast Point Homebrew Mart, (tasting Room)
Coronado Brewing Co (on Knoxville)
Ocean Beach pizza port
Modern Times

Others will join in, but those are the closest and really great places

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For burgers hit up Slaters 50/50 (liberty station) Rockys Crown Pub (Pacific Beach) or Hodads (Ocean Beach)

As said, Stone Liberty Station is fine, unless you need to tour the brewery.

IMO, Downtown / Gaslamp Quarter is mostly "meh." Unless you can score tix to see somone good at someplace like Anthology (technically, in Little Italy). Humphrey's (in Pt Loma) also a good venue for live music, though $$$

As to restaurants, be warned this ain't no L.A. What do you like to eat? Steak? Italian? Seafood?

As long as you are not headed into downtown during the morning or out of downtown during the evening rush hours on the 163, the 8 or the 5, traffic typically not too bad. Beach traffic should not be bad in April.

+1 to Coronado. Best beach in SD there too.

In addition to those already mentioned, definitely check out Lost Abbey and Mission. Mission's closer to downtown. Both Stone locations are great; I liked Escondido a little better in terms of the looks of the place (didnt do the tour), but its a little out of the way (good for a first stop though if you want to drive down the coast and see La Jolla, which is worth it). Either way, when you go to Stone, budget time to eat, bc its awesome.

Outside of beer, go to Ocean beach, Old Town and Torrey Pines. SD is amazing! Enjoy!

http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org...10/11/SDBrewersGuild-Directory-2013.Web_..pdf

Check this website out and the above pamplhet in PDF format to show all of the breweries in the county. Page 10 has a map of all the locations and their addresses are listed. Both Breweries and affiliated pubs.

In fact, myself and a few buddies are doing a brewery crawl of sorts in north county this Saturday. 8 miles, 9 breweries and that's excluding a few we've already been to.

Stone Liberty Station is gorgeous. But Escondido has the tours and the garden paths. But Escondido is well...Esconscumhole.

Newport Pizza in OB, especially during the sunset is awesome. good pizza and beer selection. It's close by, and cheap too.

If you go up to Escondido, you'll be passing right by a bunch of good breweries. Ballast Point, Green Flash, White Labs, to name a few. White Labs has a tasting room where you can sample multiple versions of the same style, made with different yeast strains. Really gives one an appreciation of the differences.

Also if you are staying near Sea World, Point Loma seafood is great and also a Mexican place called JV's...get the Cal burrito

It's been a rough winter at work, and the work isn't done yet. Me and the GF have been looking at a three day getaway in April to San Diego. We already have the reservations made and now we need to fill in the rest of the itinerary.

First on the list is Stone Brewing. But which is better? Escondido or Liberty Station? I'd prefer to go to Escondido, but Liberty Station will be MUCH closer. Staying pretty near SeaWorld, by the way. Beer is a big priority on the list, but not all inclusive. We want to see other stuff too, I read something about sunsets at La Jolla were pretty awesome. And the Gaslamp Quarter was supposed to be pretty spectacular. Also, worthwhile restaurants?

So ultimately, what would you recommend? Which breweries are worthwhile? Where else can we go without spending tons of cash (i.e. SeaWorld, etc.). Which highways should we avoid or when should we avoid them? Any other wisdom worth sharing is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I could fill an entire page of must sees and must dos depending on your likes and dislikes. As for non brewery stops you mentioned Gaslamp. That's a cool place to go if you're looking for night life and lots of restaurants all clumped together in walking distance from each other. If you're down there you could hit up Top of the Hyatt. It's free iirc and its just a cool lounge at the top floor of the Hyatt downtown. Great views of the bay and downtown from there.

La Jolla has Mt Soledad, amazing views of the cove and La Jolla there. Lots of fancy schmancy overpriced restaurants there but also some good ones as well. The cove is nice as well.

Where you're staying is near Mission Beach/Pacific Beach/Ocean Beach/Pt Loma areas. Ocean Beach is Bohemian and hippy like. Pacific Beach is a younger crowd. Lots of bars and restaurants there, but can get a little rowdy depending on where you go and what day. Mission Beach is in between the two and doesn't really have a lot going on imo besides Belmont Park. Of course you've already mentioned Seaworld which is right there in that same area. Ballast Point has their Home Brew Mart very close to Seaworld, basically on the east side of the 5 Freeway. They have a tasting room there as well.

Speaking of parks, there's Balboa park which is cool and has a bunch of museums and gardens and stuff like that. It's also pretty much where the zoo is at. I'm sure you're aware of the zoo we have in San Diego...lol.

Near the park is Hillcrest which has a lot of cool restaurants and bars, but be warned there's quite a few gay bars there so make sure you're aware of what you're walking into if you're not into that scene. Otherwise, some amazing restaurants there. Hash house a go go is ridiculous. Worth checking out.

Coronado was mentioned by a couple people here. That's a neat place. you can take a ferry or drive across the big bridge (remember Anchorman when Baxter the dog gets kicked off the bridge...THAT bridge). Coronado beach is imo the best beach around. I'm pretty that's a widely held view as it was named #1 beach in California a year or two back. Of course there's the famed Hotel Del Coronado which is an old hotel that has been a mainstay of San Diego for over a hundred years. Used to be a hot spot for the stars back in the day.

As for North County, there's San Diego Safari Park, which was formerly known as Wild Animal Park. That's cool if you're into wild animals from Africa. It's also right in the same area as Stone Brewery in Escondido.

Traffic...well that's all relative. If you're coming from Los Angeles, you'll love it here. If you're coming from Podunk, USA. You might be overwhelmed. The main traffic is from commuting in the mornings and afternoons going into and out of San Diego Metro. So 805, 5 north and south headed into and out of San Diego can be a bit dodgy but nothing Google Maps won't help you avoid.

As for overall breweries I would recommend hitting up Brewery Circle as it's known. It's in Mira Mesa/Miramar area off of Miramar Road. There are about 6 Breweries some of which are pretty big names in craft like Green Flash, Ballast Point, Alesmith, and not to mention White Labs is in that circle too. They have a really neat tasting room and an opportunity to taste the same wort fermented with different yeasts to see their effects...way cool. Also, if you have any empty vials, for every 10 you bring in they give you one new one for free!

TLDR you can message me with more specific questions if you'd like.

Wow! Lots of awesome responses so far. Thanks for the input, and keep them coming.

I highly recommend Alpine Brewery, but don't go there on the weekend. The line out the door sucks

Shouldn't be a problem, we'll be there Monday to Thursday.

As said, Stone Liberty Station is fine, unless you need to tour the brewery.

IMO, Downtown / Gaslamp Quarter is mostly "meh." Unless you can score tix to see somone good at someplace like Anthology (technically, in Little Italy). Humphrey's (in Pt Loma) also a good venue for live music, though $$$

As to restaurants, be warned this ain't no L.A. What do you like to eat? Steak? Italian? Seafood?

GF works at New Holland Brewing, so she really wants to see the brewery tour, so I guess we'll be going there.

Thanks for the heads up on Gaslamp. It shows up on a lot of internet literature so that's why I brought it up. Three days isn't much time for a big place like SD so we don't really want to waste our time.

As for food, not looking for LA. Definitely NOT looking for fine dining. Typically we avoid chains like the plague, unless they are local chains with good food. We both enjoy a good greazy burger as well as local pizzas. GF digs seafood, me not so much but as long as they have something else worth eating on the menu, I'll be happy. Other than that, local is best and just about everything is fair game.

http://www.sandiegobrewersguild.org...10/11/SDBrewersGuild-Directory-2013.Web_..pdf

Check this website out and the above pamplhet in PDF format to show all of the breweries in the county. Page 10 has a map of all the locations and their addresses are listed. Both Breweries and affiliated pubs.

I took a look at pubquest.com and was a little overwhelmed at the choices, so I was looking for recommendations to sort through them. We don't mind traveling for something worthwhile, just don't want to waste our time if something better is right around the corner.

Stone Liberty Station is gorgeous. But Escondido has the tours and the garden paths. But Escondido is well...Esconscumhole.

Lulz.

Definitely NOT looking for fine dining. Typically we avoid chains like the plague, unless they are local chains with good food. We both enjoy a good greazy burger as well as local pizzas.

Two words: Pizza Port.

I've eaten at the one in Solana Beach (up the coast highway) a few times. The place can get packed quickly, but well worth the wait. They have a few other locations around the area.

If you are going to Stone Escondido your ~8 minutes from Lost Abbey. Don't miss it. Mother Earth is also close by.

The White Labs tasting room is terrific place for brewers. If you need to be convinced of the influence of yeast this place will do it. Call ahead and see if they are brewing - they brew on a basic home brewer set up in the parking lot. The folks brewing love to talk.

I get to SD 2x year and love it. Only downside is that it is hard to find a beer that is not a hop bomb.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You all are the greatest! I've put together a rough plan so far.

Get into town around 4ish. Flying in with only carry ons, so get the car, get to the hotel, and go to either, Newport Pizza, Pizza Port, or Hodads, depending on how we feel. Then find a brewery or two and call it a night.

Day two is Stone Escondido, and probably the Mira Mesa area. I want to see White Labs for sure to check out the difference in yeast flavors. Save me a lot of experimenting. Find a couple bottles of brew and watch the sunset at La Jolla. And I'm leaving the evening open for now.

Then the last day is probably a little sight seeing, maybe another brewery or two, sunset at Point Loma, and relax before we have to head out the following morning.

I'm not a big fan of scheduling things, so this has been painful for me, so we'll see if we can make it work.

Thanks again for everything you guys have mentioned. And 619brewer, thanks for the offer on PMing you with questions, I'll probably take you up on that. I still have a ton of questions.

Day one in SD -

We had a decent flight. I was up since 230pm the day before, worked all night, got home and ran on a treadmill, packed the car and headed to the airport. I kinda nerded out over the stuff I got to see from the air so I didn't get as much sleep as I should have. The Rocky Mountains are cool!

Set up shop at the hotel, took a walk around, took a few pics, and headed out for dinner. We stopped by Pizza Port at Ocean Beach (damn good, thanks for the recommendation) and walked down to the beach for the sunset. Had a couple conversations with some very "interesting" people. Good memories.

Then we went to Ballast Point and had a couple good beers. Got our first souvenir and a couple good ideas to try for brewing. I didn't really drink too much this winter. Working too much. But thwart I did drink was more along the lines of stouts. I guess I had kinda forgotten California's perspective toward IPAs and whatnot. I got a quick reminder on that one. Tasty but a little overwhelming if you aren't prepared for it.

So today is our stop at Stone, and then checking out the Mira Mesa area. Today is going to be great..

If you have time after visiting stone check out port brewing / lost abbey. They are about 3 miles away from stone. They now occupy the old stone brewery.

So today is our stop at Stone, and then checking out the Mira Mesa area. Today is going to be great..

Just barely south of there (technically Miramar area but it's only ~2.5 mi from Green Flash) is Hess Brewing's original location. Worth a stop and they sell some beers in 4-pack cans now if you want to carry something back to the hotel for later.

Hess opens at 1PM in case you have time to kill before Green Flash opens at 3PM.

I have to say, I'm excited for this warm weather. It'll cool down a little bit these next few days.

I went to Old Hess last time I was in town. What as awesome place. Wes was a fantastic server and had a good chat with him. Ended up walking out with 2 growlers and a fancy glass after getting the taster flight. I will definitely go back and recommend them to everyone I meet! Sounds like they are getting their new production facility up and running. I think Wes said they sized up to a 30bbl system with a small canning line. That is a big jump from 1.6bbl!!!

Back