San Diego Super Yeast ... not so super

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Making a pallet crusher double IPA, OG 1.082. Used San Diego super yeast. It started off super strong and fast within a few hours. By 24 hours in it looked like a leaf blower submerged under water. That went on for about 24 hours before the normal rhythmic bubbling set in. It was down to about 1.050.

I was a little nervous that it had slowed down so much and still had so far to go. Read forums about that particular yeast being finicky and how it can stall. I'm betting that's true of any yeast though if you look hard enough. I raised the temp up to 72 degrees, which is on the high side of the tolerance range. Bubbling has stayed consistent and steady for 3 more days, and now down to 1.030. Its chugging along smooth and steady, but at a snail's pace. Coming down by about .007 per day.

Anybody else have similar or better experiences with this yeast?

San Diego ‘Super’ Yeast. Evidently means ‘Super Slow’.

Sounds normal to me too. Fwiw I've always had great results with wlp090 and used it several times. Cheers

Yep, normal fermentation. Based on my experience, this yeast is just super normal. There's nothing wrong with it, but "super" may be a marketing-based exaggeration.

Back