Samiclaus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSwiggin'

Reaction score
Years ago a local british pub used to carry a beer called Samichlaus. It was brewed in switzerland (I believe) every year on December 6th, then aged for a year before hitting the market. What made this beer special was it's alcohol content (14%!!!! no joke!). The pub stopped carrying it around 12-14 years ago. I think National was the distributor. They said it was no longer available. It just kind of fell of the map. I still have not seen it in a pub since.

Florida has had some very crazy (and stupid) beverage laws which only affected beer, not spirits. They included strict bottle size requirements, alcohol content restrictions and the like. These were all lobbied by the big breweries in an attempt to limit the growing import craze. for instance, it had to be a 12oz, 16oz, 32oz bottle, so most european bottles coming in at 11.2oz were not allowed. The breweries actually had to re-tool and bottle a 12oz just for Florida, so only the breweries with enough money could compete. Good example of this is Fosters Oil cans. I believe Fosters comes in a 24oz can, but it had to make a 32oz for Florida. And all those malt liquor companies couldn't sell a "forty" here, they had to be 32oz. I'm not sure if this is why it went away or not, but it makes you wonder.

It wasn't the best tasting beer, but it wasn't too bad. You kind of acquired a taste after a few (you could only drink a few anyway). My recollection is a sticky sort of teriyaki sauce flavor with rich cherry overtones and great mouthfeel. Very dark in color by the way, amber to almost black (kind of like black cherry soda).

Does anyone remember this? More importantly, does anyone have a recipe stashed away somewhere that attempted to clone it? I am curious to the strain of yeast used to attain such high ABV%.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I had one on saturday. It was delicious!!!! :tank:

Then again, I had more than just that on saturday, I actually had most of these...
Look second shelf from the top, third from the right.

So yes, I can get my hands on some samiclaus. Are you saying you'd want to orchestrate some type of trade? ;)

beer_tasting_2.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: This is my 2,999th post. I won't be posting again until I get some pictures together.... :(

You gotta be kidding me!! Quick response. So it is back on the market. I can't seem to find it in Florida. Nice selection by the way. A trade may be in the works :)

I am really looking for a recipe though, I have a glass carboy and a dark corner I need to fill for a year.

i can get them where i am from. the place that has them also has samichlaus helles lager, also at 14%abv. i enjoyed that one alot more.

My understanding is that they stopped making it in the late '90's or so and then resumed a year or two ago.

The recipe was sold from the original brewer Hurlimann. It stopped production and then started recently but by Schloss Eggenberg (Eggenberg castle) in cooperation with the original brewer. Some say that it doesn't taste the same as the original. But I'll never know as I never tasted the original. I did have a sample on tap at a local bar though.

It can be sold in Florida, I bought some recently at Total Wine in Palm Beach Gardens. They were also from '06 which means some of the aging is already done for me. I plan on not opening the ones I have now for a few years. I've read/heard of bottles improving/changing for more than ten years maybe twenty.

This:http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm list their yeats strain as the Zurich Lager strain from Whitelabs.
WLP885 Zurich Lager Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN – Sept./Oct.
Swiss style lager yeast. With proper care, this yeast can be used to produce lager beer over 11% ABV. Sulfur and diacetyl production is minimal. Original culture provided to White Labs by Marc Sedam.
Attenuation: 70-80%.
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Very High

Here's a clone: http://ericsbeerpage.com/Beer/Recipe/samichlaus.html
Its by Marc Sedam, the guy that contributed the yeast to WL, seems good.
"This is the yeast used to brew Samichlaus with. I know...I cultured it up from a 1996 vintage and gave it to WhiteLabs to clean up and use." -Marc

I was given a four pack of the 2006 vintage last Christmas. I found it to be extremely sweet, and to be honest, I won't touch the remaining three for a while. This is a beer that definitely would do well with a little age.

The shop that stocked it also had a magnum of the same vintage, but I think they ended up having to raffle it off after months with no interested buyers.

the BYO 150 clone recipe issue has a samichlaus recipe. IIRC, for the AG version at least, it involved collecting a huge volume of wort and boiling it down to 5 gallons, but I don't have it in front of me... It did sound pretty difficult to make, especially given the nature of fermenting such a high-gravity beer, especially one that uses a sluggish yeast and needs to be lagered.

When I tried samichlaus, I thought it was good and all, but not so good that I would go to that much trouble to brew it, but it would at least be a fun challenge if you really like the beer.

Someone already mentioned it, but it is in the BYO 150 CLone Brew issues, I was reading it just the other day. I think it gives,if I recall correctly, both an AG and Extract recipe.

Landhoney * thanks for the buying info. I do alot of work up in WPB so I will have to pick some up!

Funkenjaeger & Revvy * thanks for the location on a clone. I am going to get crackin' on this ASAP

Everyone else * thanks for all the info, it never dawned on me, but I did a google search (don't know why I didn't think of it before, maybe I was indulging in some IPA a little too much:drunk: ) The google search actually produced a ton of info on the stuff.

This site is great, thanks for all the support:mug:

I'm drinking a kegged, homebrewed version right now. It is fantastic. I lagered mine for about 1.5 years to mellow it out and I wasn't disappointed. If anything, it finishes a bit too sweet, but it did finish at a gravity around 30 (started at about 1.160). Here is my recipe:

10# Vienna
13.5# 2 row
1# Weyerman CaraHell
I also bumped it up a bit by adding 2# corn sugar

I fermented as far as Wyeast 2206 (a huge starter) would take it, after supplementing the fermentation over the course of several weeks. I believe I finished it off with Eau de Vie (I know, not a brewing strain, but 2206 won't go that high).

I would recommend the Zurich Lager strain as well. I hear that is what the brewery in Switzerland uses anyways, so all the better. Plus, it has a higher alcohol tolerance than most Wyeast lager strains.

Latest posts

Back