Same old problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnyart

Reaction score
I seem to always get no carbonation from about 20 percent of the bottles in a batch. They all get exactly the same treatment. This batch is a Double Chocolate Stout that was bottled using coopers drops Christmas of 2010. Most poped like a shotgun. 1 Liter swing tops. The gaskets are good.

When one doesn't pop I segregate it roll it and give some additional time. I tried a bottle for the secondtime and got no pop. Same bottle 3 days later (third try) it poped like a son'of'a'gun. They have been rolled several times.

Is headspace critical?

Are coopers drops reliable?

Should I try repitching the bottles?

These sort of problems are why I only brew a batch or two per year.:mad:

You are suppose to leave some head space it is important. Never used coopers drops, I batch prime.

I prime with sugar, headspace is important, fill it full, then pull the want out, that should leave enough headspace.

I may be misunderstanding, but once you open a bottle, I wouldnt count on it recarbing again. Ignore this if I'm misunderstanding. :)

Unrelated to your question, but, if you keep having trouble with bottling you should give kegging a try. It's a lot easier, less time consuming, and you'll get the same results every single time. I gurantee you'll brew more beer once you start kegging.

It's a good Idea to roust the bottles after about 2 weeks, to make sure they get the sugar and the yeast together. That way they will even out when you want to open them.

You are suppose to leave some head space it is important. Never used coopers drops, I batch prime.

I second this. Make sure you are leaving enough room. Although I have no experience with coopers drops, I would still recommend leaving some more space in the bottles.

I dumped a bit from the five remaining bottles and put them back up. If they pop I should have my answer. I'm not hearing any love for coopers drops...

I'd like to go the kegging route but once the beer is chilled in the fridge my wife will drink it all up!:drunk:

Back