Same initial Beet Wine must, yet COMPLETELY different tastes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiantSquid

Reaction score
ok, my roommate wanted to make some beet wine with me cause she wanted to learn brewing. so we started and we made 2 gallons worth of beet must, but then separated them into 1 gallon carboys (one for me, one for her). the recipe i used was heavily based off a jack keller recipe, however i did f up and add WAY too much tannin (it was the first time i used it). so it fermented, we racked, and started aging in the carboy. during the aging we tasted it a time or two and of course it was quite harsh on the tongue. i began to not care about the wine and needed the airlock for another wine, so i took it off and was going to bottle it but forgot to and left it for a month with just a plastic bag layered about four times rubber banded on it (very stupid to do, i know). BUT i got back from a month long trip, and tried it (so 8 months aging, one month with just plastic bag) and it tastes WONDERFUL. im like WTF??? we try hers and its still super harsh, and the color looks way clearer. i am sort of at a loss here. how did this happen. did the oxidization that happened with mine help take away the tannic harshness? if i was to do the same to hers now would it help hers? i've never heard of oxidization helping a wine in any way, its suppose to be a bad thing right? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tannins are a very complicated beast. They are chemically reactive with components in the must / wine. And the chemical reactions will accelerate (good or bad) when exposed to oxygen.

Were the two batches side by side and otherwise identical in nature besides the layers of plastic bag cover thing opening?

hmmm, ok. well they were in the same house but one was in a different room. so it would sort of be up in the air whether or not doing the same plastic bag thing to hers would be good or not? thanks though!

Latest posts

Back