Same hop for flavoring bittering and aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewToHeugh

Reaction score
http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20catalog/Brewers%20Best%20Recipes/1016.pdf

I purchased a kit from brewers best a while back and received 3 sets of hops; flavoring, bittering, and aroma hops. when i received the kit i was surprised to find that all three hops were the exact same but in different amounts; Willamette hops. None of them were labeled as flavoring, bitterings or aroma. So I used the amount to identify which hop to use when (not to mention two baggies were the same amount).

So instead of contacting them i just went ahead and did it and the final product was actually delicious. The hop level was, I'd say, perfect to my liking.

At $40+ a kit I wanted to try and replicate this recipe for cheaper but was wondering if you pros could chime in on my curiousity.

Why were all the hops the same? I checked the specs too and they were literally all the same... maybe packaging error? maybe just noob curiousity?

If I indeed need to use the same hop for all three hop stages what hop can i use that is better in quality and similar in characteristics for my clone recipe.

Best,
BrewtoHeugh (noob)

I wouldn't say it is uncommon to have the same type of hops for each addition. I did a two hearted clone which has five separate additions of centennial (I think, sometimes I mix up the c hops but I know they were all the same).

If it has good aroma and flavor and high AA, why not use the same for every addition?

There are lots of different recipes for lots of different beers. Some use the same hops varieties for all additions, while some change.

Things like pilsner tend to use the same hops, and often you'll see all-cascade or all-centennial APAs and IPAs. Even Bell's Two Hearted is all one hop variety- centennial.

It depends on the beer, and the goals for the flavor and aroma.

There are lots of different recipes for lots of different beers. Some use the same hops varieties for all additions, while some change.

Things like pilsner tend to use the same hops, and often you'll see all-cascade or all-centennial APAs and IPAs. Even Bell's Two Hearted is all one hop variety- centennial.

It depends on the beer, and the goals for the flavor and aroma.

very interesting. i was just suprised that one type of hop could simultaneously add bittering, flavor, and aroma.

Guess I'll be using willamette hops.

They don't do it simultaneously. Long boils make for more bitterness, mid range (15-30 min) for flavor, and short (0-5) for aroma.

Latest posts

Back