Sam Adams Triple Bock- ewwww!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
Recently I did a beer swap with a buddy in Nebraska, I'm in Pennsylvania, via my father-in-law that was out visiting. One thing he sent back which I was really looking forward to trying was the Sam Adams Triple Bock...
I couldn't even fish it, it smelled and tasted like soy sauce. It was gross. I had to dump the thing. It was just plain nasty.:( This stuff was last realeased in 1997 as far as I can tell. There was no date stamp on the bottle. I love barleywines, but this just doesn't do it for me.
Everything else he sent was awesome. :mug:

You should ask your friend if he put it in there as a joke. Seriously one of the worst things ever. I hear it is good as a marinade though.

You should ask your friend if he put it in there as a joke. Seriously one of the worst things ever. I hear it is good as a marinade though.

I sent him an email asking just this, His response was "I'm glad I was able to pawn another bottle of that stuff off" Apparently he bought a fair amount of it and is trying to unload the garbage... Normally I like Sam Adams products, good but not great, but this stuff is undrinkable. I actually managed to finish about half before dumping it down the drain. SWMBO laughed as I cringed to drink that much.

Recently I did a beer swap with a buddy in Nebraska, I'm in Pennsylvania, via my father-in-law that was out visiting. One thing he sent back which I was really looking forward to trying was the Sam Adams Triple Bock...
I couldn't even fish it, it smelled and tasted like soy sauce. It was gross. I had to dump the thing. It was just plain nasty.:( This stuff was last realeased in 1997 as far as I can tell. There was no date stamp on the bottle. I love barleywines, but this just doesn't do it for me.
Everything else he sent was awesome. :mug:

Ya, 1st time I tried one I was expecting all the sweet, malty goodness of a doppel bock, with even more of everything that makes a doppel bock so good... Boy was I wrong! I thought the stuff had turned & spat it in the sink! About a month later I had a chance to sample another (different brand) and it wasn't quite as nasty, but that's like saying pneumonia isn't quite as bad as whooping cough. I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying a bottle of that stuff. Regards, GF.

So did the stuff sour in the bottle over time? Surely Sam Adams wouldn't have put a beer that foul on the shelves.

Back