Sam Adams Infinium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
I was at my local HEB today and as I was walking to the beer aisle I noticed they had cases of sai. 20 bucks for 750 ml; ended up buying 90 minute ipa but was so close to bitingthe bullet and buying it. Only thing keeping me from getting it was that I didn't want to drink all 750 by myself (doesn't look like u can close it). Anyone had it? I might go back and get it tomorrow.

Bought 4, drank 1. I picked mine up on the way to band practice on the 6th, put 1 in the frige for an hour and opened, as I couldn't stand to wait any longer. It is beautiful to look at in good light. Highly carbonated at the 50/55*f I drank it at. Dry and malty, no astringency and only a slight hop bitterness on the finish. Enormous, creamy head, and silly levels of co2. It is very champagne like on the front of the pallete, but finishes with a pleasing malty presence. It either needs to be very cold or it needs a little age though as there is a hint of fusel alcohol. Is it worth 20 bucks for a ~750? Well, did you have something important planned for that Jackson? If you have a 20 earmarked for beer, and want something unique, you could do a lot worse than this. I for one, will be using my remaining 3 to model a clone, as I can see having this on tap.

I'm not a fan and don't think it warrants the $20 price tag but its been selling a case per day this past week at my store even with a two bottle limit. It was fuller bodied and sweeter than expected and just sort of "blah".

I had a bottle last night. It's a good solid beer, but honestly for the price (17.99 in CT) I could pick up a nice 6 pack of a craft beer with similar taste and the ability to drink less of it. I am curious as to whether I can cap this with my bottle capper and if I can its a nice champagne bottle for my brew.

I'm definately going try it if I can get my hands on it. Obviously, its not an everyday drinker. More like going to a friends house for dinner and picking up a nice bottle of beer or wine.

Its still alot cheeper than some of the better wines.. If i can find it .. i will try it atleast once.. just so i can say i did..

Thats my argument too. The only other bottle of beer I've spent $20 on was Russian River Consecration. If I have to pay $20 for a bottle of some of the best beer in the world, I'm happy (all things considered compared to the wine world).

I just had it today at a buddy's house that we were doing a joint brew day at. It happened to be one of the guys' birthdays so it seemed appropriate. I thought it was good. Very unique. It would be cool to serve at a dinner party - but it's not your everyday drinker.

After reading this thread this afternoon I was out and picked up a bottle, plan on bringing it with me to the families house on Christmas, along with some of my homebrew.

I bought a bottle today too @ $19, I am planning on saving it for New Years Eve if I can. I also picked up a bottle of Goose Island Rare Bourbon County Stout @ $50 for a 22 ounce bottle, Merry Christmas to me.

$50 wow.. thats got to be one of the higher priced beers per oz.. Even higher than most of the Mikkeller Brews..
I bought a bottle today too @ $19, I am planning on saving it for New Years Eve if I can. I also picked up a bottle of Goose Island Rare Bourbon County Stout @ $50 for a 22 ounce bottle, Merry Christmas to me.

Save the box that Bourbon County Stout came in. I worked on it!

Firestone's anniversary ale was $25 a bomber at the local liquor store. Came in a box with a certificate of authenticity or something in it.. I passed and came back a few days later and they were all gone. Wished I got one.

What about long term storage? Is that a possibility?

I've got some in the cellar that I plan on leaving as long as I can stand looking at them every time I go in there. I think 5 years is considered the max.

I for one LOVE this beer and cant wait to attempt a clone.

I believe either the bottle or the SA website to drink within 6 months. I could be wrong but that sticks out for some reason.

Nonsense, the bottle says 1 year but its a caged and corked so it will last much longer. I'm looking forward to letting them sit well beyond then and seeing how they develop year by year.

I saw this beer at a distributor for 6 weeks and kept saying i'll get it next time. Never got it and im mad at myself now. Hopefully theyll have it again next year

Nonsense, the bottle says 1 year but its a caged and corked so it will last much longer. I'm looking forward to letting them sit well beyond then and seeing how they develop year by year.

Having had a few bottles, I don't think it will hold up well with age.

Just had a taste of this last night. It was from 2010's batch, so almost a year old. Really an interesting beer! It had a massive amount of carbonation. At 10.2% ABV we could barely detect the alcohol. As others have said, zero astringency with really nice malty flavor. We also picked up a distinct vanilla taste.

Some places around here are marking the price up to $70+ per bottle! Hoping to find a couple bottles this winter in the $20 range as it should be.

try a mixed drink maybe with it?

The Mr. Adams Cocktail Recipe - Saveur.com

ENLARGE IMAGE
Photo: Helen Rosner
MAKES ONE DRINK

INGREDIENTS
FOR THE BLACK PEPPER SYRUP
4 tbsp. fresh-ground black pepper, separated
1 cup sugar

About 6 oz. Sam Adams Infinium beer
½ oz. apple cider
¼ oz. fresh lemon juice
Thin strip of lemon zest, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Make the black pepper syrup: Bring 2 tbsp. black pepper, sugar, and 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat and allow mixture to steep for 10 minutes. Strain out solids using cheesecloth and discard. Add remaining 2 tbsp. black pepper to the infused syrup and allow to steep, covered, overnight and up to 24 hours. Strain again and discard solids. The finished syrup should be a rich black in color, with only a few tiny particles of pepper. Syrup will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.

2. Fill a glass halfway with beer. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, thoroughly shake 1 oz. black pepper syrup, cider, and lemon juice. Strain mixture into the beer. Run the lemon zest around the rim of the glass to release the oils.

I'm gonna leave this one for you high rollers. Never will I spend twenty bones on 2 beers.:)

Back