Sam Adams Cherry Wheat....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Anybody try Sam's Cherry Wheat? This stuff is great.....I'm hoping to find a clone extract recipe. You guys know of any recipes? Thanks!

So you are why they keep making that stuff?

Can we blame you for why they keep making the cranberry lambic too? :D

LOL, I must have defective taste buds or something....but I'm hooked on Caribou Slobber and now my second favorite is Cherry Wheat. Now if only I can find a recipe.

Btw, the main reason I bought the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat was because their bottles are great for bottling my home brew.

I use their bottles and really like the cherry wheat too. I tried to make it once with malt extract and real cherries a long time ago. Epic fail. I need a recipe before I try that again.

So you are why they keep making that stuff?

Can we blame you for why they keep making the cranberry lambic too? :D

I defend SA a bit on the many brews they make that are very enjoyable their IRA and Noble Pils among them. Hell Boston Lager is a nice beer.

That said the lambic and cherry wheat or among the worst "" craft beers on the planet. My late friend Bill bought some cherry wheat while I was staying with him on a long weekend. We agreed it was one of the worst beers we'd tasted. The next morning I woke up to find him in the kitchen making pancakes with the cherry wheat. They were amazing, probably the best pancakes I've ever had.

There is a use for almost everything. Got no idea what the use for their lambic is!

I had one Cherry Wheat out of a mixed half case...once.
I'd trade all the Cherry Wheat ever made if they'd bring back the Cream Stout :mug:

There's a metric crapton of all grain and extract clone recipes just a Google away, with a few discussions right here on HBT...

Cheers!

Sam Adams Cherry wheat.
This is probably the WORST beer that I've ever had in my entire life.
It tasted like straight up cough syrup.

I tried it a couple years ago. Then tried it again recently just to see if my palette had changed.
NOPE!
Still tasted like cough syrup.

I used to love it, but after having a bottle of New Glarus' cherry beer, I'll never go back.

Jeez, guys lighten up. We get it. You don't like CW. Fine. Your palates are super duper sophisticated.

OP does or someone in his life does.

I'd suggest making a simple American wheat - maybe 50/50 2-row and white wheat and ferment with a neutral ale yeast like 1010 or Chico yeast.

Then add Brewer's Best cherry flavoring or genuine cherry syrup a little at a time after fermentation until the flavor profile is right.

Might help to get a commercial neutral wheat beer like Goose Island 312 and do some experimentation with ratios - add 1 ml of cherry flavor to 100 ml of beer, and experiment from there.

ETA: real cherry syrup will probably restart fermentation so probably don't want to add it right at bottling or else you might get over pressurized bottles.

Clone recipe

1/2 bottle blue moon
1/2 bottle cherry nyquil

Very very funny and thank you for the great recipe. Gotta say....I'm sure many of you probably love lagers and super hoppy IPA's which I'm not so much a fan of. I guess if everybody had the same taste buds it would be pretty boring around here, eh?

Very very funny and thank you for the great recipe. Gotta say....I'm sure many of you probably love lagers and super hoppy IPA's which I'm not so much a fan of. I guess if everybody had the same taste buds it would be pretty boring around here, eh?

Did not mean to be so - well, mean.

Just abut anything with what tastes like artifical cherry flavor is going to give me the willies.

Get some good northern Michigan cherries and I am all in for sure!

Did not intend to be the catalyst for a pile on.

I am really fond of SA beers. Just not the aforementioned two. I've had worse. The only cherry beer I've had that impressed me was Three Philosophers. And even that I wouldn't buy again.

So, after 14 posts the OP still doesn't have a recipe (well, not a real one). Here's one to try. It's basically a base recipe for a SA Summer Ale minus the lemon and seeds of paradise. I would recommend 1 or 2 oz of cherry extract added to the fermenter after fermentation stops. You could use real cherries but search on how to do that. I brewed the Summer Ale version several years ago and it came out very well (if you like that brew - let's not start THAT again!)

1 lb Torrified wheat
0.5 lb Carapils
Steep these in 2.5 gal water at 152-ish for 30 min

Remove bag and bring to boil.

Remove from heat and add 2 lbs Wheat DME. Bring back to boil.

1/2 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1/2 oz Hallertauer (30 min)
3.3 lb Pilsner LME (15 min)
1 oz Saaz (5 min)

After 60 min boil, cool and top off to 5.25 gal in fermenter.

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast.

Add 1 - 2 oz cherry extract after fermentation (~2 weeks)

OG 1.048
FG 1.011
SRM 5.3
IBU 15
ABV 4.88%

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I had one Cherry Wheat out of a mixed half case...once.
I'd trade all the Cherry Wheat ever made if they'd bring back the Cream Stout :mug:

There's a metric crapton of all grain and extract clone recipes just a Google away, with a few discussions right here on HBT...

Cheers!

God, I remember drinking copious amounts of Cream Stout way back in the day. It was so good back then.

I always remember when Sam Lager was fresh on tap it almost had a fruitiness to it, but still with that nice malt backbone. Then, it just made a turn for malty, and that was it for me. That and Harpoon IPA were the cornerstones of craft around the Boston area at the time, and I originally thought Harpoon was too bitter! Lol.

What about using a fruity belgian yeast(White labs 500 Trappist) to go along with 5 pounds of frozen cherries in the secondary. Sounds delicious to me!

Grain bill would be something simple. 5 lbs Golden Promise, 5 lbs Wheat.

Neutral bittering hop to 15 IBU's. No flavor or aroma hop to let the cherry shine.

That's the route that I would go! May not be a clone but sounds like a good Cherry Wheat beer.

I went to my bottle shop today, and, as a result of this thread, brought home a 12 oz bottle of SA cherry wheat. I have to say, it is definitely not even in the top 25 of my worst beers ever list. It's not something I'd seek out, but I'd drink it again.

"Top 25"?

Anyone with "Worst Beer Ever" experience that deep is either a brave individual or should have someone else buy their beer...

Cheers! ;)

"Top 25"?

Anyone with "Worst Beer Ever" experience that deep is either a brave individual or should have someone else buy their beer...

Cheers! ;)

Oh, I actively seek them out! I'm an optimistic type guy when it comes to beer, and if I hear someone going on about how good or bad a certain beer is, well, I have to see for myself. Some beers live up to their reputation, some don't, cherry wheat, for instance, to me, wasn't that bad. But yeah, in the last few years, with the local microbrewery boom, I probably have had at least 25 beers that I didn't want to finish (notice I said didn't "want" to finish, in most cases, I actually do finish them).:D

So, after 14 posts the OP still doesn't have a recipe (well, not a real one). Here's one to try. It's basically a base recipe for a SA Summer Ale minus the lemon and seeds of paradise. I would recommend 1 or 2 oz of cherry extract added to the fermenter after fermentation stops. You could use real cherries but search on how to do that. I brewed the Summer Ale version several years ago and it came out very well (if you like that brew - let's not start THAT again!)

1 lb Torrified wheat
0.5 lb Carapils
Steep these in 2.5 gal water at 152-ish for 30 min

Remove bag and bring to boil.

Remove from heat and add 2 lbs Wheat DME. Bring back to boil.

1/2 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1/2 oz Hallertauer (30 min)
3.3 lb Pilsner LME (15 min)
1 oz Saaz (5 min)

After 60 min boil, cool and top off to 5.25 gal in fermenter.

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast.

Add 1 - 2 oz cherry extract after fermentation (~2 weeks)

OG 1.048
FG 1.011
SRM 5.3
IBU 15
ABV 4.88%

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you! I just printed out this recipe and will follow up in about 6 weeks with a taste report.

I really like most sam adams beers... but this one... yuk!!!! agree with clone recipe.. 1/2 blue moon + 1/2 cough syrup

Put me in the 'To Hate' category..I like SA Cherry Wheat..Yeah, it is bit on the sweet side but I like it..:p The Cream Stout is a good one too! :)

This recipe calls for half of the cherry concentrate to be added along with priming sugar at bottling. Am I the only one thinking that that is a sure-fire way to get over-carbonated beer?

I agree. Cherry extract would be OK at bottling but cherry concentrate will add extra sugar. You could figure out how much sugar is in the concentrate and account for it when priming.

Latest posts

Back