Salt in jaggery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I just bought 6lbs of jaggery to use in various Belgian brews. When checking the back of the package, it gives salt as an ingredient (after sugarcane juice). The nutritional information details 72mg of sodium per 100g of jaggery.

I tasted it, and couldn't detect any saltiness. However, I am planning on using 2lbs of jaggery in a given brew--that would translate to 720mg of sodium.

Does anyone with experience with jaggery know if the presence of sodium is normal?

Is 720mg of sodium a bad idea to add to, say, a Belgian Tripel?

Thanks,

CB

I would say definitely not. If you can't taste it in the sugar, you won't taste it in the beer. Salt is a flavor enhancer, but in this case it's probably just a part of the process of producing the sugar. I say no worries and brew away! 0.72g isn't much anyway.

Thanks, Daksin. And congratulations on the successful Kickstarter by the way...I didn't know about it until it was over, but I watched the video--nice job.

Just to be sure, I plugged the .72g into Palmer's water chemistry calculator, and I'll treat it like a brewing salt addition.

Back