Sake Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STStunner

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to make sake by this kit before? I've never made sake myself and wanted to give it a try. This kit claims that you can add your own rice to make a bigger batch. I have a 5 pound bag of rice that I can add. The kit says that the koji and lactic acid are already mixed in with the included rice. The instructions say that all you have to do is add hot water and heat the ingredients up to 100 degrees for 5 to 6 hrs and then keep the fermentation going between 65 and 79F for 2 to 3 weeks. It also says to stir twice a day. This kit seems far easier and less complicated than anything else I've seen, so does anybody have any opinions on this? Is it worth it to try and brew sake this way?

http://morebeer.com/products/sake-kit-400-grams.html

I started this kit on Sunday. Ill let you know how it turns out. I just went with the kit and nothing else. figured on the first try, I would keep it simple.

The process has gone pretty well so far. Fermented in a 1gallon growler, shook it twice a day. about a week and a half in, it stopped bubbling out of the airlock. I strained in with a funnel that has a screen in it. now its in a smaller growler clarifying. it was pretty milky when i first racked it over, but its looking pretty clear right now. Ill give it another week just to be sure.

following the directions on the pack, the final result is something alcoholic that tastes like bread yeast. don't do it unless your planning on fermenting cold.

Back