Saison Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramsoss

Reaction score
I have a Saison with an OG of around 1.052 that has been in the primary for about 5 days or so and has fermented down to about 1.012. I am using the East Coast Yeast Saison strain (EYC is awesome) and I am wondering if it is okay to rack to secondary now. The yeast has 76 to 78% attenuation.

which ECY? I was able to get an ECY03 batch down to about 1.000 ;)

I think you should give it some more time, 5 days just feels way to early for that yeast.

How did the beer come out so far. I've currently got a 1.064 Saison with ECY03 fermenting at ~80f ambient. Brewed four days ago its already down to 1.004...

How long should you leave saison in primary? I've got a 2 week old one going from 1.052 now at 1.005. Was thinking 4 weeks then 1 week cold crash. I've heard it takes belle saison yeast a while to finish out the last couple points.

I have a saison I just put in the secondary. Main reason is to get it off the yeast. I want to cold crash it, but my chest freezer is filled at the moment. I may just throw it in my keg fridge. Oh and I used Wyeast French saison 3711. Ended up at .998

How long should you leave saison in primary? I've got a 2 week old one going from 1.052 now at 1.005. Was thinking 4 weeks then 1 week cold crash. I've heard it takes belle saison yeast a while to finish out the last couple points.

I'd just say when it's done! Let the gravity tell you. Some saison yeasts take forever to finish out. Just make sure the gravity is low and stable and you're good to go.

m3n00b said:

1.052 to 1.005 is close to 90% attenuation, which I would think is done. Only 2 gravity readings taken 2 or more days apart can confirm this though since it's impossible to predict what your exact attenuation will be. Many brewers (usually newer) want a specific number of days to plan when to transfer, bottle or keg. Experienced brewers know that even the best estimate is a guess and can vary quite a bit. As I've said on many posts, the most important thing for any brewer to learn is patience. A week can make a HUGE difference on the too early side of things. When your brew is done, an extra week (or even several) will never be a problem.

1.052 to 1.005 is close to 90% attenuation, which I would think is done. Only 2 gravity readings taken 2 or more days apart can confirm this though since it's impossible to predict what your exact attenuation will be. Many brewers (usually newer) want a specific number of days to plan when to transfer, bottle or keg. Experienced brewers know that even the best estimate is a guess and can vary quite a bit. As I've said on many posts, the most important thing for any brewer to learn is patience. A week can make a HUGE difference on the too early side of things. When your brew is done, an extra week (or even several) will never be a problem.

Nah it has more to do with my schedule. I know its pretty much done.

Back