Saison recipe from Zymurgy Mag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurean

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison ete I found in my friends Zymurgy Magazine. I do not do all-grain (yet!) so I did the extract version they had printed along with the all-grain. The extract version was a little strange in that it said to put 1/2 of the total DME and LME in the beginning of the boil, and the other 1/2 at the last 5min along with the flavoring hops and candi sugar (off the heat, then return to boil).

It was quite a bit to do all of this and get the temp back up so my boil was still close to 60 min, not to mention trying to keep from having a massive boil over (I did have a small boil over).

Was it really necessary to split the malt extract? What did that do? I have never seen this before and would like to know why the recipie called for this.

A late extract addition aids in hop utilization and results in a less dark beer. Also, it supposedly eliminates some somewhat off flavors from using extract.

I've been doing late extract additions (and full boils) for a few batches now and can say that the beer has been much better. The late addition reduces your chances of scorching the extract, which will make for a darker beer than the recipe is intended for. When I do it, I cut off the flame, pause the 60 min boil timer, add the extract, bring it back up to a boil, and restart the timer. Works great.

When I do it, I cut off the flame, pause the 60 min boil timer, add the extract, bring it back up to a boil, and restart the timer. Works great.

Yeah, that's kinda what I did. I added the time to my boil it took to get back up to a boil.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Back