Saison Lower FG & Higher ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbrews

Reaction score
So my Brewers Best Saison has been in the primary for nearly three weeks, I took a gravity reading tonight and was a bit surprised that I'm missing the recommended FG and ABV by quite a few points.

Recommended OG - 1.048-1.052
My OG - 1.052

Recommended FG - 1.011-1.015
Tonight's Gravity - 1.006 ... Looks like I'm missing my FG by quite a bit.

Recommended ABV - 5.25% - 5.75%
Tonight's ABV Calculation (1.052-1.006)x131.25= 6.037%

Am I calculating my ABV correctly and what could be causing me to miss my FG and ABV by so much? This is a Brewers Best Saison, which I believe is their own version of partial mash.

The fermentation temps ranged from about 75 -85 degrees depending on the room temp. From what I understand Saison's are supposed to be brewed at higher temps.

The beer sample didn't taste bad but didn't have all the flavor I expected. Although it did have a bit of a kick to it and I could feel the affect of the alcohol.

Also wondering would the higher ABV reduce flavor?

-DZ

I think you'll be just fine. Saisons are supposed to be very dry, so your FG going lower than what is printed is fine. You're probably either done fermenting or very close.

The higher ABV shouldn't reduce flavor necessarily, though the lower FG reduces body a bit. Once again though, that's in style for a saison. Keep letting it ride, perhaps check the gravity in another week. How long has it been in your primary fermenting vessel?

Sounds about normal for a Saison. Depending on the yeast you used, and the recipe, it may go even lower.They are supposed to finish low and dry.

Brew software never predicts the FG accurately with Saisons.

How long has it been in your primary fermenting vessel?

It'll be in primary three weeks this Sunday. I'm planning on moving it to a carboy this weekend so I can free up my primary. I planned on letting it go in the carboy 3-4 weeks. Is that too long of time in the carboy? I've read that saisons need more time conditioning than most other beers.

Thanks for the responses to my question.

DZ

Nah, 3-4 weeks in the secondary will be just fine. You might want to check the gravity to make sure it's done before you transfer, but that's up to you. Also, no need to transfer other than wanting to free up your primary like you're saying. My first saison sat in primary for six weeks and was delicious :)

That's exactly what my saison finishes at every time, and it's a hit. For me that higher FG range would be a bit too high. I think you'll really enjoy how the beer turns out.

nah, don't worry about it. I have a saison with a 1.076 OG and a 1.001 FG gravity (or lower) every time. those yeasts are a BEAST

Back