Saison changed in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I kegged a Saison on 5/26. Set the CO2 to 30psi for about 3-4 days. Backed it down to 15psi for another 3-4 days and poured a couple of pints. They tasted great! I decided to leave it on 15psi since.

I've had & shared a few more pints (maybe a dozen) over the next three weeks -- all decent!

Now, after about 10 days of sitting, I poured a pint to find the beer has changed dramatically. It comes across as pretty bitter, or even over carbonated. I've heard of "carbonic bite" but I'm not sure I've experienced it.

My question(s): Does 15 psi cause carbonic bite? Would having the keg sit for 10 days untouched cause something to happen?

I should say that I feel I go overboard with cleaning/sanitation.

Any ideas?

I kegged a Saison on 5/26. Set the CO2 to 30psi for about 3-4 days. Backed it down to 15psi for another 3-4 days and poured a couple of pints. They tasted great! I decided to leave it on 15psi since.

I've had & shared a few more pints (maybe a dozen) over the next three weeks -- all decent!

Now, after about 10 days of sitting, I poured a pint to find the beer has changed dramatically. It comes across as pretty bitter, or even over carbonated. I've heard of "carbonic bite" but I'm not sure I've experienced it.

My question(s): Does 15 psi cause carbonic bite? Would having the keg sit for 10 days untouched cause something to happen?

I should say that I feel I go overboard with cleaning/sanitation.

Any ideas?
Depends on the storage temperature. 15 PSI is pretty high. Look for the carbonation chart. Helps alot.

So its double the recommended pressure. What effect will that have on flavor, mouthfeel, etc?

Does any permenant damage occur to the beer if "over" carbonated (per style guidelines) for any length of time?

Can I bleed off the excess pressure & back the regulator down to appropriate setting & expect the beer to return to the good beer it was?

Help me understand what happens with CO2 & flavor & mouthfeel!

It sounds like carbonic bite. 30 psi for 3-4 days might have been the initial over carbing issue. I usually start at 40lbs for 12 hours, then I drop to 30lbs for 12 hours, then I drop to my serving pressure. 15psi isn't to over board depending on the length and diameter of your beer lines. I run 12 foot beer lines at 3/16 diameter and I often serve at 12-14psi without issues. You can de-gas the keg with your pressure relief for a couple days to get it back in line. De-gas it a little and serve it with the co2 disconnected for a few days. When the serving pressure gets low you can hook the gas back up.

Thanks for the input; I think you are right. I turned off the gas earlier this afternoon & poured a pint late this evening & it seemed better.

I'll pay more attention to pressure on future beers'

Back