Saison and VERY high temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40watt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It has been even hotter than usual in southern Oklahoma. 3 months of 100+ temps. I want to ferment a Saison in my garage which has to be a consistant 90-100 degrees.

Has anyone fermented a farmhouse this high. I won't mind peppery esters.

Fermenting Saison's in the 80-90 range is actually advocated by Jamil. However, you should still be pitching at a normal temperature and slowly letting it rise...is there anyway you can chill a swamp cooler down to 65 to pitch, then just not swap out frozen water bottles (or do so slowly). This way the thermal mass of the water would allow it to slowly rise to around 90 over the course of 3 or so days.

I am saying the temp will spend more time around 100 than 90. Also, I won't be around to baby it. It will spend an evening warming from 70 to 85ish. From there it will hit at least 95 to 100 in the garage during the next day. Add extra temp from fermenting yeast...during the heat of the day, I might get my wife to add some ice to water in a tub. That would be the extent of temp control.

Just don't use 3711. Wyeast has its upper limit at 77F.
3724, on the other hand, they have up to 95F, and would probably turn out just great.

I'm saison expert but I brewed a 3711 saison and it fermented in the mid 80's and is one of the best beers I have brewed.

Heck, I'm no expert either, and congratulations on a great beer!
However, I wonder if the difference between mid 80's and the OP's 100+ is too much?
Just curious, not trying to start anything :D

First off, I'm sure this isn't an option or you would have used it...can you not put it inside?

Second...I would be hesitant to let this thing get over 90 degrees, especially for more than just the end of fermentation. You want to finish there, not ramp up in one day, which I'm sure will happen in 105 degree weather. If you have the swamp cooler option, I'd use it. You can baby it less since you actually want it to ramp up.

Saison yeasts like WLP565 and WY3724 are known for stuck fermentations even with perfect temp control, letting it swing between 100 during the day to 80 at night will ensure that you have a stuck fermentation.

Even if you're going to ferment it at a 100, it needs to STAY at 100.

I'm thinking I could rig a swamp cooler type option to turn 90-105 into a more solid 90-95.

Inside the house, the central air keeps a pretty steady 70-75 degrees. Not quite warm enough...right? Or is that good for the 3711?

I'm thinking I could rig a swamp cooler type option to turn 90-105 into a more solid 90-95.

Inside the house, the central air keeps a pretty steady 70-75 degrees. Not quite warm enough...right? Or is that good for the 3711?

You should probably start it inside, and then maybe move it outside to finish at like 95. Still keep it in a swamp cooler so the thermal mass lets it warm up much slower.

You should probably start it inside, and then maybe move it outside to finish at like 95. Still keep it in a swamp cooler so the thermal mass lets it warm up much slower.

Do you think it would be ok to give it a whole week inside? I can move it out on the weekend, but I don't want my wife to move a full carboy.

Hmm I'm not sure when exactly the right time would be. It just depends on how your yeast is going. It'll definitely get things going again if the yeast has slowed down. Why not give it a shot.

Heck, I'm no expert either, and congratulations on a great beer!
However, I wonder if the difference between mid 80's and the OP's 100+ is too much?
Just curious, not trying to start anything :D

I know your not trying start anything. I was just trying to relay my experience. :mug:

To your point there is a huge difference between 85 and 100.

I have a swamp cooler I use for all my beers it works great when you remember to keep ice in it. I use frozen water bottles and rotate them before work and before bed.

I would think you'd have more luck keeping it inside, where the temp is consistent, and trying to keep it warm than keeping it outside, where the temperature is swinging, and trying to keep it consistent.

Fill a cooler w/80 degree water and put it in a warm spot in the house. I would guess that would stay fairly consistent. At least consistent enough to only have to check once a day.

Back