Safety of acme buckets?(#5 plastic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
QUESTION 1:
Okay I know I am really beating the **** out of a dead horse here, but I just went to acme and picked up some 5 gallon food storage buckets. On the bottom in the recyling symbo it says 5 and underneath that is PP. From what some people say only 1 and 2 are safe, but on different forums it's all over the place. Just wanted to make sure they are safe to ferment in...

If so I just saved myself alot of money :).
Question 2:
Also Can I use a bucket for secondary? Since I have a six gallon carboy I was going to use that as primary and the 5 gallon for secondary. It will only be in secondary for about a day (while I am adding campden tablets). Also do I need to buy some kind of special lid (they came with lids, but this obviously isn't airlock ready) or just use a towel? Thanks.

I have some icing buckets I got from my local bakery, the buckets are #2 and the lids are #5. After looking at my FV buckets it is the same, not sure if this helps but I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks. I have already read articles that are essentially the exact same thing as that. I understand that #5 is okay for storing food, my issue is fermenting. Will the plastic leech into the alcohol during long periods of fermentation?

As many suggested the buckets from my bakery were free :), but I really want to make sure that #5 pp is actually safe to ferment in. I assume some people on this forum have used it or had experiences with it?

If everyone is unsure I might repost in the beer forum to see if they have any input. It's hard to believe that their is not a definitive answer on this, but I guess most people must just buy fermenting buckets at their HBS not the bakery.

Back