Safe to use CO2 regulator with solenoid? (help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franzi

Reaction score
Long story short, I have a co2 tank and regulator that I used to use when I had a planted aquarium. I no longer have that aquarium and would like to use the co2 tank and regulator for kegging since I just bought a keg not too long ago. The only thing is, the co2 regulator has a solenoid valve on it which was convenient for the aquarium since I connected it to a timer so that it turned off the co2 at night.

My question is: is it safe to force carb with a regulator that has a solenoid valve that has to be plugged in an outlet? I mean, will using a solenoid valve result in constant carbing and like, the keg will blow up? On that note, how does it work with a "regular" regulator? How does it know not to keep pumping in co2?

Thanks in advance!

Long story short, I have a co2 tank and regulator that I used to use when I had a planted aquarium. I no longer have that aquarium and would like to use the co2 tank and regulator for kegging since I just bought a keg not too long ago. The only thing is, the co2 regulator has a solenoid valve on it which was convenient for the aquarium since I connected it to a timer so that it turned off the co2 at night.

My question is: is it safe to force carb with a regulator that has a solenoid valve that has to be plugged in an outlet? I mean, will using a solenoid valve result in constant carbing and like, the keg will blow up? On that note, how does it work with a "regular" regulator? How does it know not to keep pumping in co2?

Thanks in advance!

The regulator is set to an output pressure... once that pressure is equalized in the keg.... .. no more CO2 is "pumping" in to the keg.

The solenoid is just extraneous equipment in a kegging set up... If you want to set it to be activated (open) all the time.. the keg wont care.. :D

Or, sell the specialized aquarium regulator and buy a simpler, non solenoid version for beer.

Thanks for the reply, E.

I guess my main concern (lack of knowledge) about the solenoid valve is that even though the output pressure is set to 20psi, it will continue to pump in co2. My reasoning is that because it's a thing I plug in to the wall, it's always "on" and doesn't function like a "regular" regulator which stops when equalized.

Additional confirmation to ease my concerns about the keg blowing up the basement is welcomed :).

Thanks!!!!

hope this pic appears

picture.php

You can leave it on for extended periods of time without worrying about the tank exploding as it will not effect the pressure in the tank. I know nothing about the selenoid but does it shut off when the desired pressure is reached? Do you adjust the pressure with the bottom knob? If so, it would shut off connected to a tank just as it would with a closed aquarium when the desired presssue is reached. You can buy a manual check valve and barb that would replace the selonoid for several vendors

Ok, there's clearly a regulator there, with a solenoid on its low-side output. If you're not using it for aquarium duty any longer, it'd be easiest to just remove the solenoid and fit a shut-off w/check-valve and an MFL thread and be done with it.

Otherwise, use the solenoid as before - but with no "off cycle" - and it'll work just fine...

Cheers!

The solenoid does not "pump" .. it is an on / off valve.. on the low side output of the regulator.Normally used with a timer, not plugged directly into a wall outlet.

The tank valve is opened, regulator pressure set, and the gas flow is stopped when the solenoid is not activated (closed) when it is activated(timer?) gas flows, but the pressure is still regulated,, and will "fill" the keg to a pressure equal to the regulator setting,., and then, even if the solenoid is activated (open) gas will stop flowing once tank and regulator pressure are the same.

In a aquarium set up,, your just free flowing CO2 into the water..... in that case, yes, if the solenoid is activated (open) gas will continue to flow.. Two completely different situations.

Still, not needed, extra equipment.. and Id bet a CO2 regulator with timer equipped solenoid is more expensive than a beer grade CO2 regulator from Tapright..
Sell the specialized aquarium one and get a Tapright.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the insight. I was just concerned since in my early days of brewing I've had a few bottle bombs and wasn't ready to re-live that experience on a larger scale. I'll just leave the solenoid on for now and use it plugged in since if I take it off, odds are I'll be on the aquarium forums in a couple months asking how to put it back on :)

Thanks!!

Thanks all, I really appreciate the insight. I was just concerned since in my early days of brewing I've had a few bottle bombs and wasn't ready to re-live that experience on a larger scale. I'll just leave the solenoid on for now and use it plugged in since if I take it off, odds are I'll be on the aquarium forums in a couple months asking how to put it back on :)

Thanks!!

Taking it off is a easy and safe deal.. see the brass fitting between the regulator and solenoid?
attachment.php

That is a common brass fitting.. likely the hex size is 9/16". Remove the brass fitting and the solenoid and then attach your beer gas line to that low side port. The low side port is likely threaded 1/4 NPT.

You will screw in a check valve http://www.kegconnection.com/checkvalve/

attachment.php

And then have a 1/4" MFL (Male Flare Thread) end so your gas line can connect.

The AZOO CO2 regulator is sold as a pre set deal .. you do know you will have to adjust the low side pressure by unscrewing the "cap"
attachment.php
(which is what it is) and then You will need a Allen (hex) wrench to make the adjustment.

regulator fitting.jpg

fitting.jpg

regulator adj.jpg

Back