Safe to bottle? Hefe stage 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
Hi all

First off thanks for the help recently when i thought my beer was a failure.

Its now been nearly 3 weeks in the primary

The fg is stuck at 1.016. The sg was 1.05.

The fg hasnt moved in over a week even after i tried a higher temp.

Flavours are quite malty after taste. Hoping with more carbonation and a light aging this will improve.

I plan to prime and bottle, but any idea if this is safe? Seems like a high fg. I was curious if the suspended yeast and haze would mean a higher fg for hefe?

Thanks again

It's safe, dont worry. Yeast or haze has no impact on gravity.

It's either in your process or the yeast. 1.050 -> 1.016 is nothing alarming, though.

Hi all

First off thanks for the help recently when i thought my beer was a failure.

Its now been nearly 3 weeks in the primary

The fg is stuck at 1.016. The sg was 1.05.

The fg hasnt moved in over a week even after i tried a higher temp.

Flavours are quite malty after taste. Hoping with more carbonation and a light aging this will improve.

I plan to prime and bottle, but any idea if this is safe? Seems like a high fg. I was curious if the suspended yeast and haze would mean a higher fg for hefe?

Thanks again

What yeast did you use? I always use Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephaner) and Beersmith always gives me an expected FG of 1.016 but mine always goes lower, more like 1.010. I would say you are safe to bottle though.

The traditiona hefe-yeasts don't bulshit around. When they are done they are done. Usually in my setup at the 6 day mark. I always bottle mine on day 8, there's not even any need to do a gravity reading because they will always stop at the same place given the same wort to chew on.

Edit: Haha, bulpoopy? What a great censorship!

Ha great word bulpoopy

I used mangrove jacks wit yeast.

Not sure if the taste is as i had hoped. Again will bottle this weekend and carb based of the advise :)

MJ wit yeast for a Hefe? That sound very odd in my ears, I'd rather call it something close to a quasi-wit then than a Hefeweizen.

I used MJ Bavarian Wheat ones and it didn't ferment well at all. Well, for few days it did, then complete stop. Finished it with another yeast. Won't be using that yeast again.

I used MJ Bavarian Wheat ones and it didn't ferment well at all. Well, for few days it did, then complete stop. Finished it with another yeast. Won't be using that yeast again.

I've tried that yeast once and sampled others' attempts with it and that is one truly awful Hefeweizen yeast. I don't use MJ at all anymore, not because of that one attempt, but because of several tries with MJ.

Both are types of wheat beer, so i assumed a wit m21 yeast would be fine?

Does it need finishing with a different yeast?

I've used MJ with few times and it usually comes down to around .012-.014 so that isn't too high, especially for how long it has been in there.

It does give off more of a Wit profile though than a Hefe profile, so it is probably going to taste like a unspiced with is my guess.

As well some wheats I have made have a mild malty taste to then until they are carbed so unless it tastes like a wet loaf of bread I'm assuming it should be fine.

I've tried that yeast once and sampled others' attempts with it and that is one truly awful Hefeweizen yeast. I don't use MJ at all anymore, not because of that one attempt, but because of several tries with MJ.
I have tried a few MJ yeasts. Belgian Abbey and US West Coast are the only ones I really liked and would brew again with.

Liberty Bell Ale, New World Strong Ale, Bavarian Wheat.. never again.

California Lager is decent and might use it again if brewing a fitting beer.

Sorry for offtopic..

A Belgian Wit is quite different from a Bavarian Hefeweizen, even though both are wheat beers. If you wan't to make an as authentic as possible Bavarian Hefeweizen then you must use a liquid yeast of that kind.

Thanks all

If it is at 1.016 and i add the priming sugar will this work for carbing? Just got the carbonation drops.

Thanks all

If it is at 1.016 and i add the priming sugar will this work for carbing? Just got the carbonation drops.
Yes, if the gravity is steady over a few days you should be pretty safe adding the simple sugars for carbonation.

M20 is what you should have used for a classic style Hefe. You have a Belgian Wit now. Will probably taste a bit spicier and not much like the Hefe.

Hey a Belgian wheat is good for me :) as long as it tastes much better whe its carbed and left a couple weeks in bottles

Update.

A lovely pale gomden hazy colour. Tastes pretty good.

Primed bottles w8th carb drops ajd hoping i wil lsee carbonation in a couple of weeks.

If not vert sweet flat beer :)

My preferences for Hefe yeasts ....

American-style - WLP320. Muted esters and phenols where hops can stand out.
German - WLP300. WLP351 gave off a LOT of clove phenolic not to my taste, especially when doing a ferulic acid rest with ferm temps on the lower range.

Haven't made a Belgian wit yet, but LBHS carries WLP400. I might try it given a chance.

Beer tastes great. Carbonation turned out very creamy.

Attachments

• 20180301_191542.jpg
    20180301_191542.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 38
Back