Safbrew LA01 Anyone use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, i suppose you'd just make a wort out of all munich and some table sugar up to like 1.013 with 11 of those points being maltose and maltotriose and 2 of them being sucrose. You'd be under 0.5% and then can bottle condition with a tiny bit of sucrose to carb and stay under the 0.5% regulation for non-alcoholic beer.
I'm not sure if the beersmith equations break down at these low numbers but the 1.013 OG and 1.011 FG indicates 15% apparent attenuation...
I suppose you could try to pick a hop and water profile to call it a non-alcoholic altbier??
Jamil Zainascheff in the book Brewing Classic Styles uses roughly 3:2:2:1 of Munich, carafa special 2, caramunich and pale choc malt. He bitters with Magnum.
I might propose to also use like a torrified wheat or carapils to increase head retention.

Last edited:
I'm dying to try this yeast, but the 500g brick and it is not in my country yet, another thing is this is not a repitching yeast and I don't know how would be the priming in this. But soon after this get here gonna grab some and try

I'm late to this discussion but our brewpub purchased a 500g block and I made a simple Pale to give it a try. Pretty typical grist but with a sizeable dose of rye to enhance mouthfeel. Pitched 12 g of LA01 into a 1026 wort (7P or 1028 was target) and all looked good. Fermentation active for two days until it was visibly done. I was sitting at 1021 (0.6% ABV vs goal of 0.5%) and I was happy. But, after another two days of little/no action fermentation activity resumed in earnest and in two more days I'm at 1005. So, I'm not sure what's happened.
Wort has a phenolic aroma, which was somewhat expected since the yeast if POF positive. But, that's also an aroma that's common in wild yeast, I used same sanitation processes used for 100+ brews w/o a single infection. So, infection is unlikely but always possible.

Back