Safale us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience fermenting safale us-05 down near 60. The package states as low as 59. I currently have one fermenting at 59 with good airlock activity but was wondering if there will be a noted difference in taste. Thanks in advance

Of course it will be slightly different... It is a neutral strain though, so it's not as if you're hoping for a particular ester profile

There's been some talk elsewhere on this site that US-05 will produce off flavors if it is not used at the top of the temperature range. Do a search on the topic. It has been well covered. I brew with it at about 62F and have had no problems.

Some good brewers here report a peach flavour resulting from really low ferm temps. My understanding is that the sweet spot for this one is around 65.

I've experienced a slight peach or apricot flavor when fermenting at around 62 with us05. It wasn't all that unpleasant, just a little overpowering IMO.

I've just made an apricot blonde ale fermented with 05 in the low 60's, and I am definitely picking up the apricot notes :drunk:

Some good brewers here report a peach flavour resulting from really low ferm temps. My understanding is that the sweet spot for this one is around 65.

I get those "peach" flavors at below 64 degrees with S05, and again at above 72 degrees. It's not all that clean at below 64, but it's still good in certain beers.

When everyone talks about fermentation temps, is the general consensus ambient temps, or are you guys measuring the actual temp inside the bucket/carboy?

If we're talking about fermentation temp, being ambient temp, could level of active fermentation potentially change it from batch to batch, depending on how vigorously it's fermenting?

When everyone talks about fermentation temps, is the general consensus ambient temps, or are you guys measuring the actual temp inside the bucket/carboy?

If we're talking about fermentation temp, being ambient temp, could level of active fermentation potentially change it from batch to batch, depending on how vigorously it's fermenting?

Most folks mean fermentation temps. There are various ways to control ferm vs. ambient temps. Some are simple, some are complicated.

Desp said:

Fermentation temps can be anywhere from a little, to a lot (like 10-12 degrees f) higher than the ambient. Any temperature guidelines spec'ed are always for the temperature of the wort/beer/must.

Back