SafAle S-04 = Tastes Like McMenamins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To any of you Portland brewers, I think we can all agree that most of the McMenabeers all have a similar taste. As a newish homebrewer, I had figured to myself that it must be the base malt or the yeast that they are using across all the brews.

Well, this week I have tapped a keg of Jamil's Pale Mild recipe that I made with S-04 and DAMN does it taste like a mcmenamin's beer. It is such a simple recipe that it does seem like a yeast showcase beer.

Has anyone else noticed this? It basically tastes like a ruby with a bit less fruitiness, but still very fruity (no raspberries in this batch). I have made a few beers with s04, but this was the simplest.

My batch of ruby is basically the same recipe + 3lbs of raspberries, and it has that same mcmenataste with more raspberry punch.

This isn't necessarily a bad flavor, it is just very hard for me to dissassociate it from McMenamin's because I have had so many of their pints, and as anyone around here will tell you, they aren't known for having the best beers.

I don't know McMenamins but I noticed that the fruit yogurt character of my special bitter with S-04 reminded me a lot of the Stockyard IPA and Little Barley Bitter from Barley John's in the Twin Cities.

Latest posts

Back