Safale s-04 fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppdaazn23

Reaction score
My first time using this yeast and it is my 2nd batch. just 2.5gallon but it split it into 1gallon and 2gallon jugs. started the yeast then pitched late monday night, next morning it was going crazy. wednesday evening the 1gallon jug is bubbling slowly about once every 13seconds. the 2gallon i barely see any bubbling. is it fermented out or is there something wrong with it? I am new at brewing. please comment

My first time using this yeast and it is my 2nd batch. just 2.5gallon but it split it into 1gallon and 2gallon jugs. started the yeast then pitched late monday night, next morning it was going crazy. wednesday evening the 1gallon jug is bubbling slowly about once every 13seconds. the 2gallon i barely see any bubbling. is it fermented out or is there something wrong with it? I am new at brewing. please comment

it is quicker than s-05. it is most likely still fermenting but the bulk of it is over. is there still krausen? what are your ferm temps?

there is barely any krausen left, still some bubbling on the edge of the jug. past 2 days the temp was around 75-80 because the AC wasnt working right. now it is cooler. yesterday and the day before it was overflowing into my airlock and the activity was nuts. i dont have gravity reading hydrometer just proof reading one. gotta invest in that one.

It is done. At those temperatures you had some very active yeast. You will also be getting some esters and other off flavors. You really need to keep the fermentation temps down in the 60's. Do a search of HBT on "swamp coolers" as a cheap way keep the temps down. There are several good threads.

EDit: by done I meant with initial fermentation. It needs at last another couple of weeks now to clean up as many byproducts as it can. For the clean up period the temps can be a little higher, low 70s will not hurt.

Yes, it really is that fast at that temp. I tried it once. I heard that Belma hops had a strawberry fruit note and that S-04 throws some odd fruit flavors when fermented warm. At 80F it was done with the primary phase of fermentation in 3 days.

It was a mistake. I am much more careful of the fermentation temp of S-04 now.

Just like hopbrad said its probably still fermenting but the majority of fermentation is probably over.

If ambient temp was 75-80 then ferment temp was probably 80-85 which could (probably did) cause issues. See how it goes. Use the google search bar at the top and look up swamp coolers. They will help you keep temp down for a more clean/normal fermentation without the investment in a fermentation chamber.

I would buy a gravity reading hydrometer next time you buy supplies. They are only like $6 and will help you with a major piece of the beer making puzzle. Im sure you know but knowing the gravity will tell you lots of things like if beer is done fermenting, if you mashed properly, how sweet/dry the beer will be. That being said you still will be able to make sure you are done fermenting with the hydrometer you have.

i added some green mango in the boil. so when you said it is done the initial fermentation, should i bottle it or let it sit in there a little longer before i bottle? I will definitely buy the gravity reading hydrometer when i come back home, just went home to parents place and decided to brew a test batch here.

Get the hydrometer now. Take a reading. Take another reading 3 days later. If the gravity hasn't changed, you may bottle.

Anything else is just speculation.

Back