Raising fermentation temp on Safale S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I usually start fermenting my beers at the low end of the yeast's temperature range, then let the temp slowly rise near the end of fermentation. Normally I let them finish at 70 F for a couple days.

I'm going to be brewing an oatmeal stout that uses Safale S-04. When I've brewed it in the past, I've started it around 61 F, letting it finish at 70 F. Safale S-04 is rated for 59 to 68 F, and I've read that it can cause off-flavors if it ferments above that. I don't know if any off-flavors would even be noticeable in a stout, but I'm wondering if it would be better practice to hold the upper temp to 68 F?

Thanks for your input!

Hi,

I usually start fermenting my beers at the low end of the yeast's temperature range, then let the temp slowly rise near the end of fermentation. Normally I let them finish at 70 F for a couple days.

I'm going to be brewing an oatmeal stout that uses Safale S-04. When I've brewed it in the past, I've started it around 61 F, letting it finish at 70 F. Safale S-04 is rated for 59 to 68 F, and I've read that it can cause off-flavors if it ferments above that. I don't know if any off-flavors would even be noticeable in a stout, but I'm wondering if it would be better practice to hold the upper temp to 68 F?

Thanks for your input!

That temperature recommendation is only valid while the yeast are actively fermenting, like the first 3 or 4 days. Once the fermentation slows the temperaure, within reason, doesn't matter. The off flavors are all created in the early part of the fermentation.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

fwiw, I use S04 for my imperial chocolate stout and start it off at 64°F for the first four days, then slowly ramp up to 68°F over the next week...

Cheers!

That temperature recommendation is only valid while the yeast are actively fermenting, like the first 3 or 4 days. Once the fermentation slows the temperaure, within reason, doesn't matter. The off flavors are all created in the early part of the fermentation.
That makes sense. Otherwise performing a diacetyl rest would be a bad thing.

fwiw, I use S04 for my imperial chocolate stout and start it off at 64°F for the first four days, then slowly ramp up to 68°F over the next week...
Yeah, I was thinking about just letting it rise to 68. I think that's about ambient in the basement right now. I do have a new Inkbird heat mat that I'm inching to try out though...

Thanks everyone!

Back