Safale 05 Virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlad

Reaction score
Would you believe am using Safale 05 for the first time ever?

About 7 years and 100 batches or so and I have somehow avoided it thinking it was just too much of a classic to be worth messing with. Maybe there was an element too of being scared off worrying that it might be too 'clean' for the simple and straight-forward pale ales I usually brew.

But finally I'm giving it a go in a quick conditioning pale ale to keep my stocks up after Christmas and Hogmanay - just 2 row and brown sugar with a good belt of Cluster and Summit (which I've also been scared of using in case I end up with something that tastes like a tomcat on a garlic farm, but they actually smell very nice).

Forum wisdom says it should ferment fully, be even more clean than Nottingham but that it takes its time over clearing.

Is there any other advice from personal experience? Is it one that really needs a good three weeks primary or is it forgiving and responds well to being hurried along? Is it a fire-and-forget yeast or one that sometimes needs a bit of care and attention?

Cheers!

Throw in a little bit of Irish Moss and clearing should not be an issue any more. To me, it delivers a different kind of "clean" than Nottingham - Nottingham finishes dry and tart compared to US-05.

Never had any trouble with US-05 failing to get started or attenuate. While it is more forgiving than other yeasts, it still pays off to watch your pitch rate and temperatures.

I have around 25 batches and most have been 05. I wanted to limit my variables and 05 makes it about as easy as possible. Cold crash and you don't need finings. Give it 3 weeks around 65-68*F and you are golden.

Have you ever used Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001? Same yeast as S-05, just not the dry form. Chico stain.

This old pair of chinos has seen its share of both stains and strains.

But nope, never tried any of the Chico variants. I was always brewing with the idea I wanted yeast frutiness so never gave it a thought.

Also liquid yeast wasn't readily available really until more recently over here. Tended to be more a special order thing I think.

I always loved us-05... its my go-to yeast. Be prepared for a nice clean complete fermentation. Also As far as clearing, any of above methods could be used... I am sometimes in a rush, and I typically will throw it into the keg and fine with Gelatin and cool and carb... 3 days... I pull of about 6 oz. Then another 3 days same thing... By 8 days its crystal clear. Cheers.

Here's one for you, if it takes a little longer to start showing fermentation don't worry about it, just relax. Also, if it doesn't create a krausen don't worry about it and relax. Too many threads about that already ;) . I've used it many times, sometimes it's very active and sometimes you'd think your beer isn't fermenting but in the end it has always done the job. Probably the oddest yeast I've used due to this varying behaviour in visible fermentation. Great yeast though!

Rev.

Well this time it is off like a shot!

Good rocky head in 24 hours from pitching. Seems a proper top fermenter which I was surprised by.

I don't have any means to cold crash but since I intend to bottle it'll have a bit of time to settle naturally.

Cheers all for your input!

D

Back