Safale 05 fast start - fermenter pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
I just made a pale ale, and within 20 minutes of pitching the yeast, Safale 05, like it has already started fermenting!

My last brew I had to read the "Fermentation can take 72 hours to start" thread a few times to assure, and reassure, myself that it was going to actually start fermenting, after using liquid yeast for the first time (it was wyeast 1056, for the record). (Took about ~48 hours, and is currently sitting in secondary with some spices..and goddam the samples taste good, can't wait for it to meld a little more...but I digress).

Anyways, used the Safale 05 this time (much, much cheaper, and I'm a cheap-ass, so it's a match made in heaven :)).

The recipe I used called for 2.5 kg (~5.5 lbs) light DME, 1 kg (2.2 lbs) Munich malt, 0.5 kg (~1 lb) CaraPils, and 0.5 kg (~1 lb) of minute rice.

The OG was 1062-1063ish, and was at about 20 C (68 F) when I pitched the yeast. After pitching the yeast, I left it for 20 minutes or so while I cleaned up, and when I carried the bucket downstairs, and peeked inside, I found that it looks like it has already started fermenting!

I thought yeast would take a good 6 hours AT LEAST to get going, but I guess either I got steroid yeasts or lost half a day somewhere. Anyone else ever have the Safale 05 start instantly?

DSCF3307.jpg

I am not sure you're actually fermenting....

Did you hydrate the yeast before pitching it or did you just dump the dry yeast into the bucket?

I am guessing you just dumped the dry yeast (which is fine... )

But I THINK what is happening here is that the yeast is simply rehydating.

I really don't think it'll be a problem but I know a lot of folks that rehydrate their yeast (simply drop it in a sanitized glass with room temp sanitized water... I use bottled water) and let it goo-ify (brewing term) before pitching it into their wort. I've heard that pitching dry yeast directly into a wort will kill as much as half the yeast.... now... whether that is true or not, I am not sure but I rehydrate nonetheless. I think it is healthier for the yeast and beers tend to ferment out a bit better when I do it.

Did you hydrate the yeast before pitching it or did you just dump the dry yeast into the bucket?

I really don't think it'll be a problem but I know a lot of folks that rehydrate their yeast (simply drop it in a sanitized glass with room temp sanitized water... I use bottled water) and let it goo-ify (brewing term) before pitching it into their wort. I've heard that pitching dry yeast directly into a wort will kill as much as half the yeast.... now... whether that is true or not, I am not sure but I rehydrate nonetheless. I think it is healthier for the yeast and beers tend to ferment out a bit better when I do it.

+1

I agree that looks like the yeast blooming to me too. You can tell because it's got the yeast color rather than a Krausen color.

S-05 is my main stay though I keep a pack in the fridge at all times for emergencies.

That makes more sense. :) Here I thought I bought magical yeast or something.

Latest posts

Back