Sacchra 50 Malt, how can I use it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xico

Reaction score
I have access to a 50 lb bag of the stuff but limited time to experiment. Is there anyone with experience with this malt? One site recommends 12-15% to create a reddish hue to the beer but I'd like to know what flavors it imparts as well.

With 50 lbs you can go nuts with experiments. I haven't tried it but supposedly a very earthy malt. Rouge has a beer made with it as does Gateway, and a few other NW breweries. I plan on trying it in a stout. Let us know how you use it and the outcome.

I've brewed with ti and had beers made with it. Use it like you would use a crystal. It's less sweet, more like a combo of Munich and crystal.

I got some at NHC. used it last weekend, but haven't tasted the beer yet. We made an American Stout, and used the Sacc 50 in place of the Crystal 40. According to the guy at the booth, it is a good replacement for the crystal 40, and doesn't get in the way of the hops the same way the crystal does. I am going to try it on an IPA or APA at some point as well, but want to see what it does to this recipe first. Second time brewing this one, so hopefully the difference will be evident to my palate...

I'm going to make a beer with it on Friday to see how it contributes to that beer. I will share what I learn.

Back