S-189 is a nice dry pitch lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of us who use dry yeast, I have had nice results lately with S-189. Mainly have used 34/70 as go to lager yeast in past, and generally have been pleased with the results.

S-189 has a somewhat smoother finish, and will be using it more in future. 34/70 seems a little more vigorous, but S-189 is fine.

Batches have ranged from 1.054-1.059 starting gravity, with a finish range of 1.011-1.008. Fermentation temps 54-57F with 3 day D rest at 64F, slow ramp up & down.

Dry pitch 2 packets in 11 gallons cooled wort after 5 min pure O2 .5 liters/minute with stone.

Anyway, for those like me who have been stuck on 34/70, thought I'd put this out there.

I used it once and liked it. I don't do many lagers but have kept some of that type on hand.

Dland, how much time do you take to ramp up to the 64f D rest temperature? I'm brewing my first lager tomorrow with this yeast!

Ideally, over the course of 2 or 3 days. Usually this works out as a 2 degree temp adjustment in each morning and evening to get from fermentation temp to D rest temp. It is probably not too critical, but I usually visit my fermentation room a couple of times a day anyway.

When fermenting lagers, usually it is a good practice let things happen at a slow pace. One exception being making sure the yeast gets working.

I prefer S-189 over 34/70 because I tend to get clearer beer without fining. I’ve used it several times with great results.

Last edited:
I have used S-23 and W-34/70 with great success... I guess I will have to brew again soon to test out S-189.

Have a Marzen fermenting with s189 at 50 degrees right now with some pretty slow fermentation but it's getting there. Thinking of ramping the temp to 55 though just to speed it up. Thoughts?

I know the some think the lower the lager fermentation temp the better, and I have run some pretty low, but they do go slow, and can stall near end.

Fermentis recommends 12-15C, (53.6-59F) and I've had good results in that range. Usually I do main fermentation of S-189 at 54-56F.

Starting lager fermentation at low temp and ramping it up at 66% FG is well documented in German brewing texts (i.e. Narziss). Tasty McDole highlighted the technique of ramping up at 50% a few yrs ago at NHC. It is not really the same technique the warm fermented lager thread discusses (starting warm).

Last edited:
Starting lager fermentation at low temp and ramping it up at 66% FG is well documented in German brewing texts (i.e. Narziss). Tasty McDole highlighted the technique of ramping up at 50% a few yrs ago at NHC. It is not really the same technique the warm fermented lager thread discusses (starting warm).

Yeah. I'm not really an advocate of fermenting a lager warm in the upper 60s for the entire fermentation. Not yet anyway. More experiments are needed. Currently my recommendations appear consistent with Narziss -- start cool about 48-50 F then raise it up after fermentation is half done. No ill effects, only positive effects.

Back