Rye malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott77

Reaction score
OK so I've obtained a few free cases of rye malt extract and I've been doing a whole bunch of different experiments with it but it seems that I can't find any recipes using Rye malt extract does anyone know why or does anyone have any experience with rye malt extract

It could be that most extract recipes with rye use a mini-mash for the rye portion of the grain bill. I've never seen rye extract before.

If you don't have brewing software like BeerSmith or ProMash, I would download a copy in order to make your own recipe.

Good luck.

Brewers Friend doesn't even have it as an option.
So instead, find recipes with rye malt.
1 lb grain = 0.6 lb dme.

Who makes your extract? The only rye extracts I've seen are already blends with a lot of base malt. Maillard malts (NB and Midwest) and Briess are both 70% base, 20% rye, and 10% C-40. Morebeer's is 25% rye with "a bit" of C-40 and the rest base. So you can't just replace the rye in an all grain recipe with rye extract if you want to keep a significant percentage of rye in the recipe. You'll need to either use 100% extract or do part of your recipe as a mini mash with some rye malt.

The other thing is if you just want to use some up it would be fine to substitute in a lb or two in an number of recipes that call for pale LME - like in a pale ale, amber, brown, porter, stout, etc. For example say the recipe calls for 8 lb pale LME, if you sub in 1 lb of your rye extract you'd be adding just 2.5% rye and 1.25% C-40 to the recipe, pretty negligible amounts.

Thank you that's really good advice lately what I've been doing is just replacing the pale lme with the rye malt because of course that's the most expensive part and every batch always seems to come out kind of rich not to mention I never seem to get the flavor of my specialty grains

Do a 100% rye malt extract brew to about 1.056, hop with something like Citra as you would for a Pale Ale - Done.

Latest posts

Back