Rye ESB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
Something I've been working on since I finished up an archaeological survey project and have yet to be sent on another. I call it "Bitter Archaeologist RyESB". I'm not looking to strictly adhere to the style guidelines but any advice/critique is welcome!

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Extract
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.9 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 6.0%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

1.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 23.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs

8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 90L 6-Row (Briess)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess)
2 lbs 4.0 oz Rye Malt Extract Syrup [Boil for 60 min]
6 lbs Rye Malt Extract Syrup [Boil for 10 min]

1000ml starter from 1.0 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275)

I'm wondering if the Caramel 90 would impart a odd flavor for an ESB?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks. :mug:

90 is a little dark, but I think it will add some nice toffee notes. I wouldn't go more than 8 oz on the 90. That's a lot of rye extract; can you substitute some of that for lme? I haven't used rye syrup before (only grain), but that does seem like a lot of rye base.

90 is a little dark, but I think it will add some nice toffee notes. I wouldn't go more than 8 oz on the 90. That's a lot of rye extract; can you substitute some of that for lme? I haven't used rye syrup before (only grain), but that does seem like a lot of rye base.

I think the rye extract is actually only made with 20% rye (the bulk of it is 2row), so the amount of rye in that recipe is not that high. You could use rye malt extract for 100% of the fermentables and still not over-do it.

That's right Walker, NB's rye LME is only 20% malted rye. The rest is 70% 2-row and 10% caramel 40. If anything I'm worried about the specialty grains covering up the rye flavor. I wonder if I would get any flavor contribution from steeping a little rye malt along with the other specialty grains?

Also, I'm thinking about swapping the Wyeast 1275 for Wyeast 1968. I've heard some bad things about 1275's reliability.

Back