Rustic Porter Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.22 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 25.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
10 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Molasses (80.0 SRM)
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
8.0 oz Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop
1.0 pkg GF All American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast

What do Ya'll think? It is a combination of several early american recipes and I am shooting for that early american beer style without using all molasses like most early recipes cal for. Suggestions are welcome and much needed.

Have you brewed with molasses before? I'd say that might be too much if it were "black strap" molasses. I'd be okay with a pound of "full flavor" molasses. The full flavor version is much less burnt and more of a pure taste, black strap can be overpowering at those levels.

I say go for it. I can't comment about the molasses, though, as I have never used it. I am fermenting a historical London Porter right now that I brewed with 2 pounds of brown malt and 1.5 pounds homemade #2 invert. I have not used molasses, but have brewed with invert (made from demerara sugar) several times. The "impurities" from the sugar cane plant add a flavor unlike anything else to beer.

What were you thinking about for a mash temp and FG? Is the historical American porter supposed to be dry or chewy?

The recipes I have found, and most of them are from research at local museums and courthouses, call for "Barley". I figures I could use raw barley but that would give an over powering barley taste to a beer if it was a large portion of the grain bill. I figured use 6-row for the base and the flaked to give a strong barley taste without over powering. I also found some calling for Rye but i figured that would be too much. One day I will post the recipes I found because some are quite interesting. One actually uses a tobacco plug as a late addition in the boil!! I think I will call that one "dip juice"... probably wont try that one.

This will likely be pretty different from a modern "craft brew" porter. What brand of molasses are you using?

I am really interested in this one. I hope you will come back and update this thread with the results.

Lyle's Black Treacle... It is not what we would call molasses here in America but from what I have read it is more of an older version of molasses used in England. I am guessing it will be more like the stuff from ye olde days.

I get you on the recipes. I submit that when a historical recipe says "barley" it means "malt". There's no reason to complicate matters by suspecting that other unmalted barley was used at all; at least that's what my research shows.

Using 6-row is a good idea. My research indicates that barley was barley, whether malted or going into feedstocks, in C19 America. 6-row gives a grainy character to the beer I think you'll like.

Lyle's Black Treacle isn't an older version of molasses. It's a blend of molasses and invert-sugar syrup. If you want molasses, use molasses, preferably a small-batch organic molasses, not the stuff you can get in any grocery store (which is usually corn syrup with some blackstrap added).

Cheers,

Bob

My GW porter calls for about 1 oz of molasses per gallon. I looked everywhere for non black strap and that's all the food stores had so I ended up using the black strap. It turned out fine. I would be interested in hearing how this turns out with a pound. Sounds like it will be good.

I'm a little sad, i just craked my robust porter to transfer to a keg and it smelled like vinegar :(

My dunkelweizen that i bottled 2 weeks ago tastes like rotten grain left in the sun for a day... It makes me sad.:drunk: Oh well time to make another batch:ban:

Back