Rust in my Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerIguana

Reaction score
I recently noticed a whole bunch of small rust spots on the inside of my keezer. The spots kind of look like splattered beer. Initially that's what I thought it was, until I tried to do a thorough cleaning, and noticed that most of them were rust spots
I bought it new about 3 or 4 year ago to replace a chest freezer that died. It's only been used as a keezer.
Has anyone else ever had this? What's the best way to deal with it? I can clean all the rust off, but I'm sure it will come back.

THANKS!!

It's not too uncommon. If you haven't done anything to combat condensation, any tiny chips or scratches through the paint will eventually rust the underlying steel. And unchecked, that rust can eventually perforate through the steel. It can actually happen quicker than you'd expect in the areas near the cooling lines, as those areas go through freeze/thaw cycles whenever the compressor cycles on/off.

Your best bet is to clean up the rust and touch up the bare metal with a durable paint. I used 2 coats of white Rustoleum on the entire inside of my most recent chest freezer conversion before putting it into service.

I also sealed it up airtight and I use a dessicant system to keep it bone dry inside (except when I'm curing meats, when a higher humidity level is desired.)

thanks! i had the same problem and figured i could just paint over it, wasn't sure.. i also have a small crack running lenthwise in the corner so i think i'll just use some high quality caulk in that as well.. just about done with the collar for my keezer so i may as well run out for some spray paint as well

Hi

Some have tried using truck bed liner spray to make a more rugged finish. Kegs can have a lot of accumulated grit on them. It's sort of like attacking the freezer with sandpaper each time you swap a keg.

Bob

That's a really good idea for the bottom of the chest freezer. I would refrain from using anything thick on the sides, were you want heat to transfer through to the coils.

That's a really good idea for the bottom of the chest freezer. I would refrain from using anything thick on the sides, were you want heat to transfer through to the coils.

Hi

The stuff as you put it on really does not spray very thick. It's also pretty dense. I doubt it's a very good insulator.

Bob

After finishing my keezer I gave the interior a quick spray of appliance epoxy to add a second layer to be rubbed off before metal was exposed. I did not sand the original layer because it was in great shape and wanted to leave it intact. In hind sight I'm wondering if this was a bad idea and whether the paint will adhere properly. I want to make sure at least the paint in the corners adhere so I can caulk them.

Anyone have any knowledge?

After finishing my keezer I gave the interior a quick spray of appliance epoxy to add a second layer to be rubbed off before metal was exposed. I did not sand the original layer because it was in great shape and wanted to leave it intact. In hind sight I'm wondering if this was a bad idea and whether the paint will adhere properly. I want to make sure at least the paint in the corners adhere so I can caulk them.

Anyone have any knowledge?
Generally, paint does not adhere well to glossy surfaces. All it takes is a little scuffing with a synthetic steel wool pad (scotchbrite). No deep sanding required unless the existing paint has issues.

Raouliii, any idea on how I might fix this mistake?

You should be good. If you develop problems in the future, just scrape the old epoxy off and start from scratch. A dehumidifier like the Eva-dry e500 should be just fine at removing any moisture.

Back